Using 1PW from Menu Bar

jimcintosh
jimcintosh
Community Member

When I am in Chrome and want to check, for example, the CCV value of a credit card, I click on 1PW in the menu bar. Instead of seeing the normal display with the categories on the side, I get some message about installing the extension on Chrome. I >>have<<< the extension installed in Chrome, so the message is extraneous. Is there any way to suppress the message about the Chome extension so that I can quickly get the information that I need, such as the CCV value for a credit card?

1Password Version: 7.3.1
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90 (70302004)
OS Version: 10.14.6 (18G95)
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:Using 1PW from Dock

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@jimcintosh: If you're seeing that, there isn't a way for 1Password to communicate with Chrome, either because you don't have the desktop extension installed there, or something is interfering with 1Password's ability to connect to it (this can happen when the browser has a pending update). There are a few things you need to do:

1. Update and restart Chrome: chrome://settings/help
    2. Make sure you have the companion 1Password "desktop" extension installed and enabled in Chrome: chrome://extensions/
    3. Install it if you don't: https://1password.com/downloads/#browsers
    4. Update 1Password and restart your Mac: https://1password.com/downloads/

However, even without doing that, if you'd just typed in the search box in your screenshot you could find the item and copy what you needed. But let me know what you find.

• jimcintosh
    jimcintosh
    Community Member
    edited September 2019

@brenty I have two extensions installed:

• 1Password extension (desktop app required)
    • 1Password X – Password Manager

Could that have contributed to the problem?

Using your suggestion, I updated Chrome and 1PW now opens in the menu bar, but not with the categories open. Instead, it shows All Items.

Is there a way to default to opening it with the categories to the left so that I don't have to keep clicking around?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I have two extensions installed: [...] Could that have contributed to the problem?

@jimcintosh: I don't think that was the problem you were having (unless you had the desktop extension disabled), but it can certainly cause confusion. I recommend using either 1Password X or the 1Password desktop app/extension.

Using your suggestion, I updated Chrome and 1PW now opens in the menu bar, but not with the categories open. Instead, it shows All Items.

You may want to consider changing back to mini defaulting to "Suggestions" (1Password Preferences > Mini > Open 1Password to), since that will show, for example, Logins matching the current URL you're visiting, to allow you to fill.

Is there a way to default to opening it with the categories to the left so that I don't have to keep clicking around?

You can view categories in the sidebar in the main 1Password app. Using 1Password mini in the browser, Suggestions will show items based on the current webpage, and you can type any time to search for any item in 1Password if you're looking for something else.

• jimcintosh
    jimcintosh
    Community Member

@brenty Your advice and "best practices" have been very helpful. Thanks for taking the time. I very much appreciate it.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

You're very welcome! Glad that helped, and here if you need anything else. :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.