Need instructions on how to get 1Password extension back on Safari after Mojave 10.14.6 upgrade

Options
xs10shal
xs10shal
Community Member

I had the extension before the upgrade, now gone. I went into the App store and reselected 1Password extension. It loaded to iCloud (did it twice, both times loaded to iCloud.) I went into Safari Preferences--Extensions; does not show 1Password. Clicked on add new extensions in the extension Preferences--Extension window which took me back to apps store where I downloaded 1Password to the Cloud for the third time. How do I get 1Password extension back onto my Safari page?

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS Majove 10.14.6
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:Need instructions on how to get 1Password extension back on Safari after Mojave 10.14.6 upgrade

Comments

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member
    Options

Hello @xs10shal,

With Safari having switched to App Extensions, the Safari extension is not something that you download or install separately. Instead, it is contained directly within 1Password itself. It should be added soon after installing 1Password 7, but if that isn't the case, try reinstalling 1Password 7 itself and restarting your computer, see if that fixes matters.

• Eze
    Eze
    Community Member
    Options

I have the same problem. Please be more explicit on reinstallation instructions. what about loosing data?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Eze - if you were a 1Password 6 for Mac user and you updated Safari to version 13, you'll have discovered that all of your older-style .safariextz extensions you had installed are now removed (not just the 1Password extension).

In Safari 12, Apple completely changed their extension format. The older .safariextz format was replaced by the newer Safari App Extension format. In Safari 12, Apple allowed users to have both the old and the new format of extension, but as of Safari 13 Apple is requiring the newer type of SAE (Safari App Extension). Because 1Password 6 for Mac was built using the now-retired .safariextz format of extension for Safari and 1Password 6 for Mac is no longer receiving development attention because it was retired in May of 2018 when 1Password 7 for Mac was introduced, the result is that you can't use version 6 in Safari 13 because the extension format is incompatible. This means there's no "reinstallation" possible, as we mentioned in our announcement about Safari 13. That means your choices for moving forward are:

1. Continue using 1Password 6 for Mac but switch to Chrome, Firefox, Vivaldi, Opera or Brave as your browser.
    2. Upgrade to 1Password 7 for Mac to restore 1Password functionality in Safari. 1Password 7 for Mac is built using the newer Safari App Extension format.

Let us know if you have any questions.

• Eze
    Eze
    Community Member
    Options

I have the same problem. Please be more explicit on reinstallation instructions. what about loosing data?

• Eze
    Eze
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you Lars, however I was already on 1Pasword 7. The upgrade removed my ability to use the extension and doesn't appear to have a remedy

• Hi @Eze

Uninstalling the 1Password app from a Mac doesn't have any effect on your 1Password data. Detailed instructions can be found here:

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/524296/#Comment_524296

Ben

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Eze - wait a moment -- if you already had 1Password 7 for Mac installed, there shouldn't be any issue with using the 1Password extension in Safari 13 or any other browser, for that matter. Are you having trouble using 1Password 7 for Mac in Safari?

• Eze
    Eze
    Community Member
    Options

Lars, I would have expected that I wouldn't be having problems as well. yes 1pw safari. After updating osx no go on 1pw "extension"

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2019
    Options

@Eze - so, if you've got version 7.3.2 installed, and Safari 13, that should work. If it's not working, here's what I'd recommend:

• Quit all running browsers
    • Quit 1Password 7 completely by typing ^⌥⌘Q (or just holding down the Control and Option keys as you choose Quit from the 1Password menu).
    • Open Activity Monitor (which is in the Utilities folder inside your Applications folder) and type or paste 1pass into the search bar.
    • If you see any active 1Password processes still running, quit them by selecting each one in turn and then clicking the "X" button at the top-left of the Activity Monitor window
    • Restart your Mac
    • After restart, re-open 1Password 7 for Mac and Safari and click Safari > Preferences > Extensions. Look for an extension called 1Password with a version number of 7.3.2 and make sure it's checked (active) in the sidebar of the Extensions window.

Let me know how/if that works for you.

• gilwellbear
    gilwellbear
    Community Member
    Options

1Password staff. Is there a way to talk to a human being about this? It sounds like you are abandoning legacy users. I AM NOT INTERESTED IN A SUBSCRIPTION SERVICE O)F ANY KIND. I made my fairly large OTC investment in Agilebits for 1Password. I have been a 1Password user for years, trusting that Agilebits is a reputable and honorable company that would support me. But if you abandon me now, I will obviously have made a bad decision. I DO NOT WANT CHROME AS MY BROWSER, just to have Google scanning my online life. I just want - and expect - 1Password to keep the OTC version running. I don't care if you don't extend it's function; just keep it running. You owe that to your legacy users who have honored you with their business.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @gilwellbear! You and all the other posters in these threads are indeed talking to real human beings about this right now...just via this forum. :)

If you don't want a 1Password membership, that's fine -- we're still selling standalone licenses for 1Password 7 for Mac. To be clear, if your worry is wanting to stick with Safari instead of Chrome, you can purchase a standalone license for 1Password 7 for Mac and continue using your local (standalone) data. The only caveat to that is that the Mac App Store version of 1Password 7 for Mac doesn't allow for a standalone license purchase because, like any software downloaded/installed from the Mac App Store, it's tied to your Apple ID instead of any external license key/file. So if you've downloaded from the Mac App Store and you want a standalone license, just quit 1Password 7 completely by typing ^⌥⌘Q (or just holding down the Control and Option keys as you choose Quit from the 1Password menu), then delete the 1Password 7 app. Don't use any app cleaners or uninstallers to do this, as these programs can remove more data than we want them to. Just drag the 1Password app from your Applications folder to your Mac's Trash, then empty the Trash. Finally, visit our downloads page and grab a copy of the version 7 installer you'll find there, and run it.

When you restart, everything will be as it was, data-wise, but you'll see a "Read Only" badge in the top-right corner of any of your items in the main 1Password window. Clicking it will take you to the Purchase Options screen, where you'll be able to click the link to purchase a standalone license, like this:

That link will take you to our FastSpring store -- a standalone license for 1Password 7 for Mac is currently on sale for $49.99, which is over 23% off the full retail price of $64.99, though I couldn't say for how much longer this will be available. Let us know if you have any questions! :)

• marcobernardo
    marcobernardo
    Community Member
    edited September 2019
    Options

I'm in the same situation.

But even to us that want to buy the Monthly or Full license of 1Password is quite confusing and frustrating.
    This is why:

1- If I install the 1Password from 1Password site instead the App Store as Lars mention we can use the "Need a license? We have those too."
    2- In the next screen if we choose "Need a license?
    - We can choose:

- A $2.99/month (try free) It will ask again for a email etc.. etc.. $2.99 x 12 = $45.88 But it will ask for our email, password (Creating a new account when we already have a account and we are signed in) this is the cheapest license for New user, old users pay more.

OR

- We can choose $49.99 (a single user license for 1Password 7 Mac)
    - I can click Buy License and then the Account Frozen window will appear and ask to update billing information 
    - I then click update billing information and now I only have TWO options:
    -  PRO (Launch Special) at $3.99/month x 12 = $47.88 (billed Annually) OR $4.99 x 12 = $59.88 (billed Monthly)

OR
    - The Business Subscribe at $7.99 x 12 = $95.88 (billed Annually) OR $9.99 x 12 = $119.88 (billed Monthly)

Don't get me wrong I understand you're running a business and we users need to pay for that but this is not a good deal to old users.

We should be able to have a gift code discount at checkout.

Because updating a Browser kill our workflow is not a good strategy (I never receive an email alerting me of this) and now with the Google Chrome issue that stopped Post Productions houses around the world I even trust less any kind of Google app.

Check here the Google issue that make a lot of mac pro rebooting in loop

And the Avid statements (Avid was blamed first for this issue but at the end was Google fault)

Because of this the option to use any other type of Browser is out of question!

Thanks and I hope you don't see any of my words as an insult, because in part I understand the effort and the time spend in creating a valuable app for so many of us.

Thanks
    Marco

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @trancos2002! Welcome to the forum!

1Password 7 is a paid upgrade, so you will need either a new license, or a 1Password Membership (which covers all your devices and platforms, so you don't need to deal with licenses anymore).

I don't believe we have ever sold lifetime licenses: when you purchase a license for a software, that license allows you to update your app within the same version, but major app upgrades (like the one going from version 6 to version 7), require a new purchase.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @marcobernardo! Welcome to the forum!

Thank you for the feedback :) I understand that all of the options can be overwhelming, so please let us know if you have any specific questions and we will be happy to suggest something that works best for you :)

Because of this the option to use any other type of Browser is out of question!

If you are happy with Safari, I don't want to convince you to switch to another browser, but Chrome is not the only one available. Have you perhaps given Firefox a try?

• marcobernardo
    marcobernardo
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @ag_ana,

As a old user and supporting the company for so many years and evangelize this app for so many others users that is bough it too, my questions are quite simple and in the first post is quite self explanatory.

1- Where we can buy the $49.99 license that is mention in the "Need a license? We have those too.""? If you read and did do my repro steps you will see that option is not there.

2- I don't mind paying a $2.99 per month but that seems only to new user, is this right?

3- If I choose to pay the $3.99 "PRO (Launch Special)" I will be penalize of being an old user of $12 per year, is this right?

4- Is there any type of gift discount for old users that have being supporting the company for so many years (since 2013)?

About the browsers, I know there's lot of browser out there, but it's all about security, the 1password is about security too right? That's why we choose to use instead of the other apps that exist.
    I'm a Old user, Netscape Navigator does this ring a bell? ehehe

Right now I ONLY want is to be able to EDIT my own passwords that I already have not to add more, and this is just because the old extension is not compatible with the new Safari.

The solution shouldn't be Frozen our account to edit our passwords but it should be something like Frozen for adding more logins.
    I think it would be a nice strategy and I think users will understand better than this one.

Basically we are locked down.

Thanks for your time and help
    Marco

• marcobernardo
    marcobernardo
    Community Member
    Options

I'm sorry but I need to be the devil advocate here, Coding is not easy, it takes a lot of time and devs need to pay mortgage, rent's, food, etc.. too

I think we should pay that's for sure, my main questions are above.

• schrino
    schrino
    Community Member
    edited September 2019
    Options

It's simple, DON'T upgrade if you're happy with IP6 and Safari 12. It's like when you buy a car, they don't come with lifetime tires. You might need to buy new ones and guess what? They cost money.

• marcobernardo
    marcobernardo
    Community Member
    Options

Your right @schrino but when You didn't receive any information about the "issue" by email and for secure measure you need to update you can't go back to Safari 12.

• gilwellbear
    gilwellbear
    Community Member
    Options

Lars,

Thanks for the feedback. I did as you suggested, and it worked as described. Two observations. I did not previously know about the OTC license for 1PW v7. Maybe I missed it, but your advertising could be more "up-front" to make that option clear. I would describe this option as a "well kept secret."

Second, when I did what you described, I was presented with two options: 1) $2.99/month and 2), $64.99. There's nothing there to tell buyers about the $15.00 discount. I didn't see that until I poked the $64.99 button. Perhaps intentional, but certainly not informative or "welcoming."

It is disappointing that 1PW is backing away from your previous OTC commitment. If this happens again, I will be forced to look elsewhere for password management functionality. I simply expect application software updates that are needed to maintain evolutionary operating system compatibility to be a part of any vendor's OTC pricing commitment to buyers. 1PW is obviously intended to be a long term investment, and maintaining OS compatibility is clearly part of that commitment. We'll have to see what Catalina offers as part of the OS. Maybe that'll be a viable future path for password management.

And, it is disappointing that you think blog exchanges on this forum is equivalent to "talking to a human being." But hey, I'm old, and I think human-to-human conversation is still important. I'm old enough to have been using computers since before "Al Gore Invented the Internet..." Hmmm...

Jim

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@marcobernardo:

1- Where we can buy the $49.99 license that is mention in the "Need a license? We have those too.""? If you read and did do my repro steps you will see that option is not there.

Directly from inside the app, but in your case it sounds like you actually created a 1Password account instead. This is paid with a subscription, so it's different from a license. I think this is why you are only seeing the option to subscribe. Can you confirm that this is the case?

2- I don't mind paying a $2.99 per month but that seems only to new user, is this right?

That price is for everyone, even existing users :)

3- If I choose to pay the $3.99 "PRO (Launch Special)" I will be penalize of being an old user of $12 per year, is this right?

This sounds like a 1Password Teams account rather than an Individual one. Teams accounts are more expensive but come with more features. What kind of account would you like to use?

4- Is there any type of gift discount for old users that have being supporting the company for so many years (since 2013)?

Please feel free to reach out to our sales team at support+forum@agilebits.com and we will be happy to see if there is anything we can do for you :)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@trancos2002:

When I bought the licenses for 1Password for Mac and for iOS it was version 4. It was a single payment for life, only once. I never had to pay again when it was updated to version 5, nor to version 6 either. I can't find a reasonable explanation from you why I should pay a license again

Back when we released 1Password 4, we decided to offer 1Password 5 and then 1Password 6 for free to all existing customers, instead of offering them as paid upgrades. Unfortunately this is not something that we could continue doing forever :(

• marcobernardo
    marcobernardo
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_ana

Hi,

Directly from inside the app, but in your case it sounds like you actually created a 1Password account instead. This is paid with a subscription, so it's different from a license. I think this is why you are only seeing the option to subscribe. Can you confirm that this is the case?

Yep, it seems my fault :) Thanks After I remove the account from the Preferences - Accounts - the $49.99 was possible

That price is for everyone, even existing users

When I try it ask me for a new password, is this normal? Sorry for all the questions.

This sounds like a 1Password Teams account rather than an Individual one. Teams accounts are more expensive but come with more features. What kind of account would you like to use?

It seems by my mistake I've created a team account, for now I don't think I need more than the standard license but I'm thinking in the future get the team, I manage a lot of password for my customers and I think this might be a great add to my workflow. I need to dig it this.

Please feel free to reach out to our sales team at support+forum@agilebits.com and we will be happy to see if there is anything we can do for you :)

Done. Thank you so much for your time, patience with us.

Marco

• vplewis
    vplewis
    Community Member
    Options

@marcobernardo "When I try it ask me for a new password, is this normal?" If your old password is less than ten characters you will be required to make a new one of at least ten characters. Write this new password down so you have an exact copy. If you have been using an older version as a stand alone, make sure you know that one as well. hth

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@marcobernardo:

When I try it ask me for a new password, is this normal? Sorry for all the questions.

No worries at all! Yes, this is normal, because you are effectively creating a new account, which is separate from your standalone app. You can also use your existing Master Password if you prefer though, provided it's at least 10 characters in length, as vplewis correctly mentioned.

It seems by my mistake I've created a team account, for now I don't think I need more than the standard license but I'm thinking in the future get the team, I manage a lot of password for my customers and I think this might be a great add to my workflow. I need to dig it this.

If you want we can help you convert your account to an Individual, if it's indeed a Teams one. We can confirm your account situation with you and help you convert it via email ;)

Done. Thank you so much for your time, patience with us.

Thank you! You should have received a ticket number after sending the email, can you please post it here so we can locate your message and "connect the dots"?

• marcobernardo
    marcobernardo
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_ana

Thank you! You should have received a ticket number after sending the email, can you please post it here so we can locate your message and "connect the dots"?

The ticket number is this #MZT-77573-354

No worries at all! Yes, this is normal, because you are effectively creating a new account, which is separate from your standalone app. You can also use your existing Master Password if you prefer though, provided it's at least 10 characters in length, as vplewis correctly mentioned.

Perfect and Understood.

Still digging the Team account features and how I could use it with my customers.

Thanks

@trancos2002

For what I've understand you have the $2.99 per month OR a $49.99 using the guide lines from Lars, just don't forget to have logout any team account if you have one, by mistake I got this enable and the $49.99 never appeared, after I remove it will show.

This discussion has been closed.