1password mini is no longer in my Safari. Why not? I have 1p 7.3.2 on MB Pro, latest iOS version

Options
tkerns
tkerns
Community Member

I've had 1P for years, always with the mini extension in my Safari. Suddenly today it's no longer there and I can't figure out how to get it working again. Restarting didn't help.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.3.2 (70302003) Mac App Store
OS Version: 10.14.6 (18G95)
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:1password mini is no longer in my Safari. Why not? I have 1p 7.3.2 on MB Pro, latest iOS version

Comments

• tkerns
    tkerns
    Community Member
    Options

1Password 7
    Version 7.3.2 (70302003)
    Mac App Store

Just to clarify, the full 1P is running fine, but the Safare mini extension cannot be found. How can I reinstall it?

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

There was a recent change to the way Safari handled extensions. Check the Extensions section of Safari preferences and see if the extension is enabled.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@tkerns: Which Safari version are you using?

• tkerns
    tkerns
    Community Member
    Options

• tkerns
    tkerns
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, I've checked the Safari prefs extension section, and there is no 1P extension even listed. One download site indicated it was already on my computer. Another told me the mini-1P extension wasn't necessary because it's included in version 7 (which I have). Not sure what that means. The extension has been appearing in my Safari tool bar for years, as recently as yesterday, then today it's gone. I was hoping the 1P folks could help me get it back. Is this the place to make that happen?

• Tonetony
    Tonetony
    Community Member
    Options

Maybe in 1Password Preferences, Browsers tab, for some reason the Extension Helper is no longer checked off? It says it's required if you use Safari.

• SteveHK
    SteveHK
    Community Member
    Options

I have the same issue. A couple of days ago in a MacOS update to V10.14.6 (18G95) Safari was upgraded to Version 13.0 (14608.1.49). I am running 1P7 Version 7.3.2 (70302004).

When I run Safari Extensions I can see that 1P7 Is listed, but rather than have "GET" beneath it it has the cloud symbol with a downward arrow. This generally, but not always converts into an iOS app style download progress circle. However, going to Safari Preferences and then clicking on the Extensions tab provides a list of extensions installed, which does not include !P7.

it therefore seems to me that there is some kind of problem between !P7 and Safari in their latest releases.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@tkerns - if you have 1Password 7 for Mac and Safari 12 or 13, you certainly should see an extension in Safari's Preferences > Extensions for 1Password -- it should be the same version number as the main app (currently 7.3.2), and it should be checked (enabled). If this isn't the case, the first thing I'd do is quit Safari, then Quit 1Password 7 Completely by typing ^⌥⌘Q (or just holding down the Control and Option keys as you choose Quit from the 1Password menu), then restarting your Mac. After restart, re-open Safari and see if the extension is present. If it's still not, then you'll likely need to re-install 1Password 7 for Mac, but if that's the case I'd want to take a closer look at things to make sure nothing else is wrong as well. Let me know what you discover after a restart.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Tonetony - that's a good idea, but the Extension Helper is what's also referred to as the mini (the icon you see in your Mac's toolbar). It should certainly be toggled on if you want to use 1Password without opening the main app...but I don't think it's what's happening here.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@SteveHK - can you tell me what you mean by "when I run Safari Extensions?" Specifically what steps are you taking/what are you looking at when you say this? I presume you're referring to something different from Safari's Preferences > Extensions because you mention those in your next sentence.

I'd like you to try the following:

1. Quit Safari.
    2. Quit 1Password 7 Completely by typing ^⌥⌘Q (or just holding down the Control and Option keys as you choose Quit from the 1Password menu).
    3. Restart your Mac

After restart, re-open both 1Password 7 for Mac and Safari, and check Safari > Preferences > Extensions for the presence of an extension called 1Password with version 7.3.2. Make sure that it is active (checked), not just present. Let me know what you discover.

• tkerns
    tkerns
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you, Lars. I followed your suggestion about quitting Safari and quitting 1P completely, then restarting the MacBook Pro. That did not fix the problem.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@tkerns: Can you answer his questions?

can you tell me what you mean by "when I run Safari Extensions?" Specifically what steps are you taking/what are you looking at when you say this?

Also please check what he suggested:

After restart, re-open both 1Password 7 for Mac and Safari, and check Safari > Preferences > Extensions for the presence of an extension called 1Password with version 7.3.2. Make sure that it is active (checked), not just present. Let me know what you discover.

Thanks in advance!

• tkerns
    tkerns
    Community Member
    Options

I meant going to the extensions tab in Safari preferences. The problem is now fixed and what fixed it was deleting 1P v.7 and restarting. Then downloading and re-installing 1P v.7. Now the 1P extension is back in Safari. Thank you.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@tkerns - excellent! Glad you got things squared away. :)

• edwardmsmith
    edwardmsmith
    Community Member
    Options

I upgraded to Safari 13.0.1 today and lost several of my Safari Extensions. I don't know if there is a link with the upgrade or not. I'm using 1Password 7.3.2 and the extension I now have does not give me the previous option of clicking on the web address and auto filling the username and password. Now I must cut and past manually. Given that some other extensions disappeared I seriously think it might be connected to the Safari update.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@edwardmsmith - yes and no. :) 1Password 7 for Mac is a paid upgrade from previous versions. If you installed it but have not yet either created a 1Password membership/account (or had an existing one) or purchased a new standalone license for the new version, then your data will be in Read Only mode, which means you cannot add, edit or delete anything, and you can't use the browser extension -- which sounds like what you're describing. Might that be the case?

• billp
    billp
    Community Member
    Options

after updating my MacBook pro to safari 13 - 1PW "mini" went away. Found a way to get it back but now when I click on that icon it opens but no longer knows what website I'm on. Now I have to search "mini" for the right pw then click "autofill". This is an extra step I didn't used to have to do. Is there a way to get back to where I was which was way easier?

• Tonetony
    Tonetony
    Community Member
    Options

Try cmd + \
    Or right click in user name/login field and pick 1Password menu option.

These are easier for me than clicking the icon in the safari toolbar and might work for you?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@billp - updating to Safari 13 won't remove or hide 1Password mini in your Mac's menubar. Were you referring to the 1Password extension icon in Safari's toolbar?

• billp
    billp
    Community Member
    Options

after updating my MacBook pro to safari 13 - 1PW "mini" went away. Found a way to get it back but now when I click on that icon it opens but no longer knows what website I'm on. Now I have to search "mini" for the right pw then click "autofill". This is an extra step I didn't used to have to do. Is there a way to get back to where I was which was way easier?

• billp
    billp
    Community Member
    Options

yes - sorry the 1pw extension icon is wha went away

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@billp: Indeed. 1Password mini is just part of the 1Password app -- just a different view of your data. The extension is what allows 1Password to integrate with the browser though, and as Lars mentioned, Safari 13 requires the newer Safari App Extensions; the old extensions will not work. We built our own Safari App Extension into 1Password 7 last year, so that will work for you if you upgrade. Otherwise, you can use a different browser that's still compatible with the old version of 1Password -- though that list will diminish over time, as they evolve as well.

• FHF
    FHF
    Community Member
    Options

I'm still using OS 10.13.6 and Safari 11.1.2. Shouldn't I still have a 1Password extension showing in Safari?

• FHF
    FHF
    Community Member
    Options

I'm still using OS 10.13.6 and Safari 11.1.2, along with 1Password 7.3.2. Shouldn't I still have a 1Password extension working in Safari? The 1PW extension shows up in Safari>Preferences>Extensions, but the 1PW icon in the Safari toolbar has a red "Inc...ari"across it, and 1PW no longer offers to save/fill logins and passwords.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@FHF: Apple shut down the only source of the old extensions, and the new ones need at least Safari 12 which itself is outdated now. I'd suggest updating to Safari 13, and, frankly, updating macOS as well, as what you're using now will not have the benefit of security patches for known vulnerabilities. 1Password for Mac version 7 and its Safari App Extension will be fully compatible then.

• SteveHK
    SteveHK
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Lars, I'm not sure if this will show as a reply to your question. I have resolved my problem although I'm not quite sure how I did it. What I discovered was on launchpad there was another 1 password whose installation had been suspended. I found it extremely difficult to remove that suspended installation, but eventually I did. I then found that 1 password was working normally on Safari 13. I have a feeling that this suspended installation of 1 password arose during an attempt by me to install the 1 password extension following my upgrade of Safari to version 13. The upgrade appeared to have removed my 1 password extension. I don't think that I can add very much more to this account.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@SteveHK - that sounds right, from your description. There's all sorts of havoc that can ensue from having multiple copies of 1Password installed (or partially (un)installed) on your system, so I'm glad you were able to remove the suspended one and that seems to have resolved the issue. Keep an eye on things and let us know if you have further questions/issues.

This discussion has been closed.