1 Password asking me to install extension already installed

Options
wheelyweb
wheelyweb
Community Member

Several issues, just appearing these past few weeks.
First, instead of right-clicking on a field and selecting 1Password and then either using it or entering a password, now the browser helper says "Show 1Password which requires a key combo to be able to use or enter a password. WHY THE EXTRA STEP THAT I NOW have to coordinate keyboard shortcuts between all my browsers to use? WHY MORE STEPS?

Second, even though I have the browser extension installed, 1pass asks me to install it.
Both of these are the same in both Chrome and Firefox.

Third, instead of double clicking the password I want to apply to the form in 1Password, I have to only click the invisible then ghosted "Autofill" button.

Why do you want me to go through more and more steps??

And while we're at it, why can't I search through the answers in the help section by most recent? There's no value seeking an answer from 2016, several versions ago!!

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.3.2 (70302004)
Extension Version: 1.16.2
OS Version: OSX 10.14.6 (18G95)
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:1 Password asking me to install extension already installed

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @wheelyweb! Let's start with the top-line, your screenshot. The reason you're seeing that is because you installed 1Password X instead of the usual "desktop app required" companion extension for 1Password for Mac. Both are available from our downloads page, but the one you wanted is here: https://1password.com/downloads/mac/#browsers 1Password X is our newest extension and it requires a 1Password account to use, but it doesn't require a local 1Password for Mac app. Instead, it communicates directly with the 1password.com servers, so it's ideal for installing in Chrome or Firefox in operating systems where we don't have a native application, such as ChromeOS or Linux. But unless you want to run the beta versions of both 1Password and 1Password X, the local 1Password for Mac app can't communicate with 1Password X. That's why you get the prompt to install the extension -- what that refers to is: the extension 1Password for Mac can actually use. If you want to continue using 1Password X, that's fine -- but you'll continue to run into this behavior unless you either install the beta of both or you don't try to use keyboard shortcuts or Go & Fill from the main 1Password app.

...instead of double clicking the password I want to apply to the form in 1Password, I have to only click the invisible then ghosted "Autofill" button.

I'm not sure I know what you mean here. Are you referring to 1Password X? If so, then that sounds even more like you'd prefer uninstalling 1Password X and installing the companion "desktop app required" extension into Chrome and Firefox.

...instead of right-clicking on a field and selecting 1Password and then either using it or entering a password, now the browser helper says "Show 1Password" which requires a key combo to be able to use or enter a password. WHY THE EXTRA STEP THAT I NOW have to coordinate keyboard shortcuts between all my browsers to use? WHY MORE STEPS?

Again, this is a function of having 1Password X installed instead of the companion extension. Because there is no communication between 1Password X and the native app, "Show 1Password" is the best it can do in such cases.

...why can't I search through the answers in the help section by most recent? There's no value seeking an answer from 2016, several versions ago!!

There might be if you were still running a version that old, but I understand your point. This is a function of the forum software we use, Vanilla. Their search is optimized for match accuracy, not date. Having said that, there are advanced search parameters available, where you can narrow things down a bit. Enter your search terms and press enter, then on the results page, click the down caret at the far right of the search box to expand the options. I'd recommend setting the date to today and the "within" parameter to three months or six months or whatever you feel would be an appropriate time-range to include only responses you consider relevant:

I hope this has answered the questions -- all of them seem to be able to remedied by uninstalling 1Password X and installing the companion 4.7.5.90 extension. Let us know if you have any further troubles or questions. :)

• wheelyweb
    wheelyweb
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for that.
    FYI: In the Firefox extension store, the Password X version is the only one on offer. So that's all I had on offer. see attached screenngrab

Secondly, in the Chrome store, it says 1PasswordX is "the best way to experience 1Password in your browser", which I find fault with because, as mentioned above, it requires one to login all the time, instead of leveraging the local desktop app.

You really need to think of the naming convention, because, if you are naming the extension (desktop app required) you need to make it clear in the name that the X version is designed for those without the desktop app, which, IMHO, is the best way, since I don't need to unlock the form to then get to unlock the password tool.

Your own description of "The best way to experience 1Password in your browser", made me select it. The messages like the one I showed you also do not resolve the problem. My screengrab is right in that 1Password IS installed. 1Password's statement that the extension is not installed is incorrect. It's no defence to say it's 1PasswordX versus 1Password doesn't help. Both the descriptions in the extension stores as well as in the application should be clearer and the non-desktop version needs to be better named. the suffix "X" doesn't do it, I'm afraid.

Thanks for getting back to me though. I appreciate it and I'll be reinstalling the extension that Works best for people with the desktop app.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2019
    Options

@wheelyweb - Thanks for the suggestions regarding naming and presentation; I'll pass those along to the appropriate people.

FYI: In the Firefox extension store, the Password X version is the only one on offer.

That would be part of why I directed you to our downloads page instead, in my previous post, and also why, if you visit our own support page for the 1Password extension in a browser that doesn't have the 1Password extension enabled, you're similarly directed to the appropriate section of our downloads page. Were you able to find and install the correct extension (version 4.7.5.90) for Firefox? If not, or if there's anything else we can help you with, let us know -- and have a great rest of your week. :)

This discussion has been closed.