1Password Anywhere not finding data

I'm using the latest release of 1Password on the PC side of MacBook Air (a new computer received last week) with Windows 7 on Firefox 14.0.1 using Dropbox. In accessing 1Password Anywhere for the first time on this laptop, I first get:

When I click on the link for key data file I see a string of several hundred characters starting with
{"SL3":"4615814C09474E72A6A3E94B0F08DFC8","SL5":"ED80D793C8BA412BB011CE80
How do I tell if this is correct? What is my next step?
Thanks, I love 1Password which works well in my PC, ipad and Android apps.
P.S. My post also doesn't display the first Error notice which I had pasted into my post. I'm a newbie!

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Welcome to the forums, maestro2801! Please log in to the Dropbox website in Firefox. Then open the 1Password.html file inside 1Password.agilekeychain.

Do you still see the error when accessing 1PasswordAnywhere via the Dropbox website? Or is that what you were already doing? If you can try posting a screenshot again, that could help. A shot of the whole browser window (including the address bar) could help. Click the "More Reply Options" button below the text field here, select the file, and then click the "Attach This File" button before adding your reply.
  • Miami
    edited August 2012
    I too am having a similar problem. I can access directly from my Dropbox with no problems, but not from the shortcut icon on my desktop or thru other media sources.

I have not changed any file names or moved any files, etc. The folders, files, etc listed in the browser exist in the order listed.

Any help is much appreciated. I have had no problems with this product up to this point and just love this it. The problem just started happening for no apparent reason.

Thank You!

This is is browser = file:///C:/Users/Miami/Dropbox/1Password.agilekeychain/data/default/encryptionKeys.js

[snipped contents of encryptionKeys.js]
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2012
    Welcome to the forums, Miami! If you are able to access 1PasswordAnywhere via the Dropbox website then everything is working well.

Starting with version 13, Firefox tightened its security on opening local files. As result, Firefox will no longer load 1PasswordAnywhere from the local file system.

Google Chrome has been like this since its inception (i.e. you cannot use a local file URL like file:///Users/dave/1Password.agilekeychain/1Password.html). Accessing 1PasswordAnywhere in this way will fail in both Firefox and Chrome, and you will be prevented from loading any of its files. This limitation is because the browsers prevent web applications from running in this way; see Chrome's Local files doesn’t load with Ajax bug report for details.

The easiest way to workaround this in Chrome is to store your 1Password.agilekeychain file on a web server or service like Dropbox. If you need offline access to 1PasswordAnywhere you will need to use another browser or modify Chrome’s settings by adding this command line option (note the two dashes at the beginning): --allow-file-access-from-files

1PasswordAnywhere will work fine locally in Safari or via the Dropbox website in Safari, Firefox, or Chrome.

I hope that helps. If we can be of further assistance, please let us know. We are always here to help!
  • JayVee
    edited August 2012
    I've tried to open the AnyWhere web UI in dropbox, but my browser cannot load [font=courier new,courier,monospace]encryptionKeys.js[/font].
    If I open that file via dropbox, I can see that dropbox appends a parameter to the URL, like so:
    https://dl-web.dropbox.com/get/PATH-TO-KEYCHAIN/data/default/encryptionKeys.js?w=a764e75f

The browser requests the file without the parameter, which makes dropbox give it a 404.

Unfortunately, I can't hard-code this into 1Password.html, as it appears to be a session-file id. (I can't copy it from one browser to another, nor can I use the same parameter for different files in the same browser).
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    You should never need to reference the file directly. Dropbox actually has some special hooks on the backend to handle loading all the data (including the encryption keys) when you access 1PasswordAnywhere via the Dropbox web interface. The URL parameter you see if you try to load the encryptionsKeys.js file directly is irrelevant to 1PasswordAnywhere because of Dropbox's special hooks.

Are you using a Safari, Chrome, or Firefox for Windows or Mac to log in to 1PasswordAnywhere via the Dropbox.com web interface?
  • JayVee
    edited August 2012
    Hi khad,

A ha, fancy stuff!

I've tried FireFox, Chrome and Internet Explorer 9 on Windows, and the stock Android browser (on ICS). None can load encryptionKeys.js.

Hm, could the problem be that we have the keychain stored in a shared folder? Edit: nope, moving the folder to the root doesn't work either.

I'm evaluating 1Password for use in both private and company setting. So right now I have my own keychain on my dropbox, and my company has its keychain in a folder shared with me and my colleague.

Unfortunately, there seems to be no way to use multiple accounts (I've seen the forum threads where users are asking for it, and one where you told them you kinda-sorta could have some good news in the future...). Naively, I would think that it should be trivial to let the 1Password Android app switch folders within dropbox (just like the desktop app).

But since this doesn't work, I thought I could access the company's keychain via de the web UI. It would be a real bummer if I can't get this to work, because I would have to start looking at LastPass, even though I don't want to because I like 1Password and have a very good feeling about your company.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Thanks for the kind words, JayVee! I think you removed the important bit from your post above by censoring the PATH-TO-KEYCHAIN. It is important that the data is specifically called [font=courier new,courier,monospace]1Password.agilekeychain[/font] in order for the special sauce on the Dropbox back end to flow smoothly and allow 1PasswordAnywhere to work. Can you verify for me that the data file you censored in your post above bears that exact name? I'm guessing not or you would have simply included it in your post.

Let me know if that helps. Please also note that only a single data file per Dropbox account is supported. Storing multiple data files in the same Dropbox account can have unexpected results.
  • Hi khad,

You found the problem: The folder had a slightly different name ([font=courier new,courier,monospace]company.agilekeychain[/font]).

Unfortunately, the single-account solution is a dealbreaker for me. I'm a happy LastPasst user now.

Thanks a lot for your effort though. I did recommend you guys on twitter, hope that sends some potential users your way :)
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    I'm glad we were able to get the problem resolved. If you ever decide to come back, we'll be waiting with open arms. Thanks for the recommendation on Twitter. We genuinely appreciate it. :)
This discussion has been closed.