How do I get rid of this???

Options
1passwordUserGuy
1passwordUserGuy
Community Member

I sync my 1Password Vault with iCloud and Dropbox. I do not have a local vault, nor do I have a 1Password.com vault, or want one. Yet, in this new 1Password 7, I have this "On my Mac" or "1password.com account name" section in my vault list. I don't want it. It bothers my sense of UX neurosis that I have this dead element just sitting there. I can't seem to find a way to hide or remove it. Please for the love of god let me get rid of this.

Don't get me started on the terrible experience of downloading the new safari extension and 1Password 7 install/subscription, along with the attempted data grab to get my passwords moved to the 1pw servers instead of iCloud.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @1passwordUserGuy! I'm sorry for the confusion. Every 1Password user has a local vault. Syncing standalone data via iCloud or Dropbox doesn't mean you don't have a local vault -- and it doesn't mean that the sync keychain in those services IS your vault. It's just the sync keychain which is how your devices stay in sync with one another.

I can see from your screenshots (thanks for those, by the way!) that you appear to have created a 1password.com membership/account, probably during the upgrade from 1Password 6 for Mac to 1Password 7 for Mac? I'm not entirely sure which "element" you meant in referring to "this dead element," but I assure you, anything you see in the vaults list refers to a vault in 1Password for Mac, so although we can certainly remove vaults if you like, they're neither useless nor "dead."

It sounds as if you likely want a standalone license and not a 1Password membership. Licenses are only offered/available if you have 1Password 7 downloaded/installed directly from our downloads page, not the Mac App Store (which is subscription-only in version 7 for a few reasons). If you'd like to cancel your 1Password account and stick with a standalone license, you can do that by deleting the Mac App Store version and installing our version. Let us know if you have any questions.

• 1passwordUserGuy
    1passwordUserGuy
    Community Member
    Options

I initially purchased a subscription license because for a bit I couldn't find information about purchasing a standalone license. The purchase system heavily pushes a subscription, and I just figured you got rid of regular licenses altogether. In the first screenshot, 1Password 7 set itself up syncing to my 1pw cloud vault, which I did not want.

I then found the process for purchasing a stand alone license and did that, hence the second screenshot.

Either way I purchase and license the software, I wind up with a location(1PW cloud, On My Mac) I don't want in my All Vaults list. I only have or want 2 vaults in 2 locations(dropbox and iCloud) and I don't want this extra 3rd location. I want it to go away, or to move it, or literally anything else. It is a dead element because I don't have a vault there, and I never intend to have a vault there. I can't put these locations in a different order either. My most used vault is at the bottom of the list, and the one I never intend to use is at the top. It just adds visual noise.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@1passwordUserGuy

The purchase system heavily pushes a subscription

True. Memberships are the way forward with 1Password; they're the most secure, flexible and easiest way to use 1Password today. We're no longer advertising standalone license. However...

...I just figured you got rid of regular licenses altogether.

No. They're still available for those who know what they are and prefer their "DIY" approach to syncing and other aspects of 1Password use.

In the first screenshot, 1Password 7 set itself up syncing to my 1pw cloud vault, which I did not want.

If you create a 1Password account, its vaults will always be synced via the 1password.com servers. This can't be changed. That's why if people tell me they don't want to sync via the 1Password servers or have their data there, I recommend a standalone license.

I then found the process for purchasing a stand alone license and did that, hence the second screenshot.

Great! That means you'll want to remove the 1Password account, and use only your standalone vault(s). Click 1Password > Preferences > Accounts, select your account in the sidebar, and click the minus ( - ) button at the bottom left corner of the window. That should remove the account and leave you running only your standalone vaults.

• 1passwordUserGuy
    1passwordUserGuy
    Community Member
    Options

Figured that out, but with my stand alone license, I now have this "On my Mac" section that I don't want, and can't even move to the bottom of the list.

• Correct; if you are using standalone vaults (i.e. with a standalone license) then those vaults are "On [your] Mac." That's how the interface now displays them. This is how it is designed to look, with a single local vault:

Ben

• 1passwordUserGuy
    1passwordUserGuy
    Community Member
    Options

As mentioned, I have 2 locations and 2 vaults already, neither of which are stored "On My Mac" (Yes, technically I know they are on my mac physically, but not logically according to your UI)

When you have an "On My Mac" section as shown, the expected behavior is that you would have a vault locally on the Mac, and nowhere else. When you have your information stored in Dropbox or iCloud, it shows you where those vaults are stored.

If you have no vault in iCloud, the "iCloud" section I'm sure doesn't appear. Same goes for Dropbox I'd wager. So, if I have no locally stored vault, this "On My Mac" section shouldn't appear. (Again, I know the vaults exist on my drive, but that's not how your UI is setup)

• @1passwordUserGuy

Under "On my Mac" is where the +New Vault option lives, which is why it appears even if you don't have vaults listed there. The only time it wouldn't appear at all is if you were using a membership exclusively (with no standalone vaults).

Ben

This discussion has been closed.