Recovering Data from old Data folder

I had an old Version of 1 Password (1 Password 6) on my computer. I couldnt update it and it didnt sync. I then uninstalled 1 Password in my Windows Settings under Apps. I did not remove the data. I then tried to install the newest version of 1 Password (7.3.712). However there was a error message saying that the old data was not compatible with the newer version. So i renamed the old data folder to "data-backup" and installed the new version of 1 Password. The new version works except that I have lost all my data. Is there any way i can get the data out of the data-backup folder back?

1Password Version: 7.3.712
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10 Home
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Yulka1355
    Yulka1355
    Community Member
    edited September 2019

Hey @bob25,
    As far as I know, 1Password 6 belongs to Mac; that means you've probably have 1Password 4 on your Windows. You need to migrate the data from your old folder to the new one. This link explains step by step how you can do so: https://support.1password.com/migrate-1password-account/#migrate-your-data-on-your-main-device

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Yulka1355: There was a 1Password for Windows version 6 which supported only 1Password memberships, but it is very outdated since we released version 7 as a direct update to that.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@bob25: I'm sorry for the difficulty. Do you have all of your data in your 1Password membership account? Signing into that in the new version would avoid needing to bother with the old database at all. Let me know.

• bob25
    bob25
    Community Member

@brenty I logged into the new version of 1 Password and I do not have the data I had in my old version.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@bob25: Ah, so you didn't have the data in your 1Password membership account. What was the exact version of 1Password you were using previously, and if you run that with the old database are you able to access your data?

• Yulka1355
    Yulka1355
    Community Member

@brenty Oh, okay. Thanks.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

:) :+1:

• bob25
    bob25
    Community Member

@brenty I dont remember what version of 1 Password 6 it was. Is there any way I can find out?

• Generally speaking, @bob25, 1Password 6.8 should be able to open any old data 1Password 7 is having a problem with. With that said, there could be a lot more to getting you to the latest than just installing a version that works and updating. The best path forward will depend on how you had things set up before uninstalling. Given that, my suggestion would be to start by backing up that data folder – just make a copy of it on your desktop. Next, try installing 6.8 from here:

https://c.1password.com/dist/1P/win6/1PasswordSetup-6.8.534.exe

Unlock that version, don't update, and turn off automatic updates for now:

1. Choose 1Password > Settings.
    2. Click Update and toggle off "update automatically while locked".

Apologies if anything there doesn't perfectly match what you see in 6.8 – some things have certainly changed since then and I'm going off memory, but it should be close. Next, grab a diagnostics report so we can see how you've got things set up:

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/?windows

Don't post your diagnostics here (this is a public forum), but do e-mail them to support+windows@1password.com and we'll take a look. After I see those diagnostics and understand the point you're starting from, I'll be better able to suggest the best path forward. :+1:

This discussion has been closed.