Why different versions for MAS and direct?

cyberzeus
cyberzeus
Community Member
edited August 2012 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac
Hello,

I learned on your blog http://blog.agilebit...-with-security/ that the versions of 1Password are different on the MAS vs. direct form Agile. The blog said that this was "...for now mostly to help us keep them straight..." so does this mean that regardless of the actual version number, the app is at 100% parity?

If so, then I am wondering why make the version numbers different at all?

But if not...meaning the versions are actually different because the apps really are different (which is what I believe the case to be), then why are existing direct purchase users not able to get the same exact latest and greatest version direct from Agile? In addition, can we upgrade our directly purchased version to the latest from the MAS?

Love the product as well as your diligence - thanks for everything and please keep up the good work...

Comments

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited August 2012
    Currently AFAIK they are 99% the same

Sans some changes that are required for the MAS like sandboxing and other changes that sandboxing requires.

In my experience the web users will get the latest and greatest prior to the MAS as the MAS version has to be vetted by Apple etc.

Sadly there is no upgrade path to the MAS version its a strictly purchase type of thing. Which is what I did. Seeing as how they are identical currently I personally would wait on a discount before upgrading. I also might wait till say November, around thanksgiving when the team has been known to run great discounts on the versions they offer including the MAS version.

Now this is my honest opinion here and this is stickily that an opinion. 1P4 should be seeing the light of day sometime in the future in an alpha state. Now it could be months away still I have no inside knowledge. But I would also consider waiting on 1P4 to be released. There generally have been discounts for this time as well based upon previous release history.

Either option waiting thill Thanksgiving or 1P4 could save you some cash.

Having said if you follow the 1P blog or twitter as well as Facebook you will get valuable info on those sales etc.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Thanks for the kind words, cyberzeus! :D

I wouldn't use the term "100% the same", but thightower is correct. 1Password 3.8 and 3.9 are essentially identical except that the 3.9 (in the MAS) complies with Apple's sandboxing guidelines, and all copies of 1Password purchased on the Mac App Store come with a free upgrade to version 4 when it is released.
  • thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    fixed it for you now 99%

:P
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2012
    :)(beer)
  • tatchley
    tatchley
    Community Member
    thightower wrote:

Either option waiting thill Thanksgiving or 1P4 could save you some cash.

Alas, my trial is almost up and both those events seem so far away... Thanks for the heads-up though.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Just to be clear, that's thightower's speculation based on historic data. If I were a betting man, I would wager he is right, but neither of us has any concrete information about future sales or promotions at this time.
This discussion has been closed.