Can I sync one vault using WLAN, all others via Internet?

ftwilson
ftwilson
Community Member

Hello,

I am still using 1Password 6.8.8, and--as much as I'm sure our family could benefit from the family-sharing features--I still prefer the security of not using the Internet to sync passwords across devices. (Currently, I'm syncing WLAN to sync across one iPhone, one iPad, and our desktop Mac.)

Every now and again, I give consideration to moving toward Internet sync. One question I have this time is: can I sync most of our passwords over the Internet, but preserve one vault of (what I'd consider to be) especially sensitive passwords to be synced only over WLAN?

Thanks,

Todd

1Password Version: 6.8.8
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.13.6
Sync Type: WLAN

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@ftwilson: That's possible, yes. But I'd suggest checking out the security white paper, since you don't need to give up the convenience of seamless sync for security. Rather than syncing/storing passwords online, your 1Password data is encrypted on your device, and the "keys" needed to decrypt it are not sent. That applies to all "flavors" of 1Password. But 1Password membership accounts also have the added protection of the (128-bit, randomly-generated) Secret Key, which is used to encrypt the data along with the Master Password, so that even an attacker who steals encrypted data from us cannot perform a brute force against your Master Password, since both are needed. Anyway, something to consider. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• ftwilson
    ftwilson
    Community Member

Greetings,

Thanks for the reply! I've read your paper previously. If I were to upgrade to 1P7 and families, are instructions for doing what I've just described available? Or, is it something I'd need some direct support to do?

Thanks,

Todd

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@ftwilson: Both. :) We have a great guide that will take you through signing up for the account, migrating your data, and setting up your devices:

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

But there isn't always a one-size-fits-all solution, so if you have any questions along the way just ask. We're here for you. :) :+1:

This discussion has been closed.