Get the Apps. Where?

Options
tobindia
tobindia
Community Member

I recently downloaded Safari 10.13.6, which brought up a host of 1Password problems. Having gotten them (mostly) cleared up, I find that 1Password is not working on my IOS devices. I have to reconnect my account on the IOS and to do that, I need a secret key. To get that, I'm told to logon to my 1Password.com account on my Mac, click on to my account name, and click on "Get the Apps." I don't see "Get the Apps" anywhere. What am I missing?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @tobindia

I'm sorry about the trouble. Are you able to generate an Emergency Kit?

https://support.1password.com/emergency-kit/

That would contain your Secret Key.

Ben

• tobindia
    tobindia
    Community Member
    Options

No, I cannot generate an Emergency Kit because that requires the Secret Key, which I cannot retrieve because I don't see "Get the Apps" as per above.

• Ben
    Options

Okay, let's take a step back. Do you have a 1Password subscription membership? You'd only have a Secret Key if you have a subscription.

Please let me know.

Ben

• tobindia
    tobindia
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, I have a 1Password membership. I have been using it for several years. I do not remember my Secret Key, but the procedure in my original statement indicates that I can retrieve it by clicking the "Get the Apps" link. As I said, I don't see that link.

• Ben
    Options

@tobindia

Yes, I have a 1Password membership.

To confirm: you've been paying a subscription fee? When was your last subscription payment? I ask as there are two distinct ways of purchasing the use of 1Password:

• With a license, which does not come with a 1Password.com account (and thus no Secret Key)
    • With a subscription membership, which does come with a 1Password.com account, and a Secret Key

I suspect you may be in the former camp, and cannot locate your Secret Key because you don't have one. I may be wrong, and you may indeed have a membership account. If that is the case you would've made a subscription payment no more than a year ago. The invoice would've come from hello@1password.com.

I do not remember my Secret Key, but the procedure in my original statement indicates that I can retrieve it by clicking the "Get the Apps" link. As I said, I don't see that link.

Right; that will only work if your browser already has your Secret Key for your subscription membership stored in it. If the browser doesn't have that information it won't be able to present it to you. All the tips in that guide require your Secret Key having been stored on one of your devices somewhere. We do not have the Secret Key. It is never transmitted to us. When you sign up for an account in a web browser everything dealing with the Secret Key happens within your web browser. As such we have no way of providing your Secret Key to you. The guide you're referencing can help point you to the various locations the key may be stored, but if it isn't stored in any of those locations then it would be unrecoverable.

Ben

• tobindia
    tobindia
    Community Member
    Options

Nothing's easy -- but it should be! I do not know what kind of purchase I did or when my last payment was or what kind of membership I have... Are you saying that I cannot now link the 1Password on my Mac with my IOS devices?

• Ben
    Options

@tobindia

Nothing's easy -- but it should be! I do not know what kind of purchase I did or when my last payment was or what kind of membership I have... Are you saying that I cannot now link the 1Password on my Mac with my IOS devices?

I'm not saying that, but how you purchased will be a differentiating factor in how you do so. I'd love to make things more simple by offering less options, which I do believe would make things much easier and less confusing. We still have a contingent of customers using the older style options — perhaps you included. :) As much as I'd like to make things easier there would definitely be a vocal minority quite outraged at the loss of those options.

Is your data currently accessible to you on your Mac? If so you can see if you have a membership by opening 1Password > Preferences > Accounts. Is there an account listed there? If not, you're using 1Password without a membership (and don't have an account). In that case you'd need to set up syncing yourself using one of our 3rd party options: Dropbox or iCloud. You can read more about how to do that here:

Sync your 1Password data

The recommended path going forward, for both purchasing and syncing, is to use a membership. It makes things a heck of a lot easier. :) There is no need to manually configure sync anymore (you'd just log in to your account), and all upgrades are included in your subscription. You can read more about the benefits of membership here:

About 1Password membership

If you'd like to upgrade to a membership instructions for doing so can be found here:

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

Ben

This discussion has been closed.