1 Password v7 user experience feedback

Options
twojtyniak
twojtyniak
Community Member

Just upgraded to v7 and am not remembering for sure on v6, but am surprised by some of the user interface choices.
1. When adding a new item using the + and having selected a category, I would expect it to create a new item of the category I have selected, or at least make it the top choice in the popdown. It seems odd to have to look through the list when I have chosen a category that I am working in.
2. Is there a reason why phone numbers don't parse to add dashes for readability? I know that this requires some effort as I have written UX code to parse phone numbers in exactly this way. It would make them MUCH more readable and usable.
3. When filling in a new record, it seems odd for tabbing to move to both prompt fields and data fields. This slows down the process a good bit and seems particularly odd when using the template fields. I'd sugest moving between data fields and let people click on prompts if they want to change them.
4. Some of the fields have a type preselected but that type is not visible. For example in Reward Programs, the "website" field is clearly predetermined as a URL as evidenced by it trying to go to a website in Safari when clicked on. Lured in by the tabbing moving to prompts as well a s data, I thought I'd repurpose that one for a phone number as I needed a phone number and not a website. Alas, I ran into the predetermined, and invisible, field type behavior. Perhaps just show types for all fields so the user knows what behavior to expect, particularly since prompts are easily changed.
5. Related to 2 and 4, I notice that on these records built with the category templates, the phone number items aren't recognized as phone numbers in the iOS app, where it would be particularly useful. If I create my own custom field called phone number and identify it as a phone number I get the option to "dial" it on the phone. Are the templates set up with data types at all?

1Password Version: 7.3.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: MacOS 10.12.6
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@twojtyniak: Thanks for taking the time to give us feedback! :)

You make a good point with #1. That's actually how it works in the mobile app since when you're in a particular category there the others are not visible at all. I think it's useful to be able to get a "big picture" overview of everything in the desktop app, and also can be convenient to not have to select a different category in order to create an item of another type (e.g. if I'm in Logins, I don't need to manually switch to Memberships or All Items to be able to create a new Membership item), but it's something we'll discuss.

For #2, there are some exceptions, but generally we want to avoid modifying user data. And, specific to phone numbers, as you can imagine, that gets complicated because those are not formatted the same depending on the country of origin. So that can get especially messy. It's something we'll continue to evaluate though.

For #3, you're not wrong for your use case, but we need to allow keyboard navigation for everything we can since some users depend on that for accessibility. You may be able to to easily click to change the field name, but not everyone has that option.

For #4, I get where you're coming from, but people putting things other than URLs in "website" fields can have bad results. There was a recent case where someone changed the name from "website" to "email", entered their email address, and then was confused and a bit freaked out when 1Password offered to fill all sorts of different account credentials on their webmail login page because the domain matched. We'd like to offer more flexibility with the templates in the future, but if you simply leave the field blank it will be hidden except when editing.

For #5, I'm not able to reproduce what you're describing. A default "phone number" field in an Identity item, or a custom field set to "phone number" in another item give me the option to "call" or "dial" in 1Password for Mac and 1Password for iOS respectively. There are some fields that have specific behaviours based on their data types, and that's one example. Some others are "one-time password", "website", and any used for filling data.

Thanks again, and let me know if you have any other questions. :)

• twojtyniak
    twojtyniak
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for your thoughtful responses, brenty. Your points are well taken. I understand that Sw development involves making many choices and that there isn't always a "right" choice. Some further discussion, if I may.

Regarding #4, I do appreciate the time savings of the templates. I think that if the "datatype" were displayed in some way in the templates, it would be a non-issue. The changeability of the prompt suggests (to me) that I can make this item whatever I want, especially when some items show a data type. Most powerful, IMO, is to show me the default data type and let me change it if I want. This would be especially nice since I am unable to change the order of the items in the templates (as far as I can tell). Second choice would to be at least show me what it is. Back to the old Apple UIG principle of not hiding important information from the user so they are not surprised.

On #5, I have attached screenshots from the MacOS version showing the creation of a Reward Program item and the results on my iOS device. Both are current sw versions. Perhaps there is a bug to be squashed.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@twojtyniak: Likewise, thanks for getting back to me, and for sharing your perspective. :)

I'm not sure I follow you on #4 here though. If it helps, the default template stuff is located at the top of the item details and can't be moved or deleted. You can simply leave parts of it blank, and it won't get in your way once you're done editing. I am not sure that telling you that the default data type for, say, a "website" field is a URL hyperlink, especially since it can't be changed to some other data type, but we'll continue to evaluate all of this as we evolve 1Password going forward. Unless and until we do a big overhaul though, the default template stuff will not change substantially because that would break things with all the apps we have today. Each will need significant work to update them for anything in that area, so we're more likely to make changes like that as part of a larger redesign.

Regarding #5, do you have the option to call either of those numbers from the v to the right in the item details in 1Password for Mac? In your screenshot, it looks like you've set "user-created phone number" as a "phone" field, but not "customer service phone". Let me know.

• twojtyniak
    twojtyniak
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry for the delayed response. Just going through some suggestions Watchtower had for me on vulnerabilities and remembered this convo.

On #4, It would be nice to know what the template datatype is, even if unchangeable. That way I could repurpose if desired and know what behavior to expect from the field.

On#5, the customer service number field is from the template, so I have no access to the datatype.

Hopefully that clarifies. Let me know if I missed the mark.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Sorry for the delayed response. Just going through some suggestions Watchtower had for me on vulnerabilities and remembered this convo.

@twojtyniak: No worries. Hope you've been well! :)

On #4, It would be nice to know what the template datatype is, even if unchangeable. That way I could repurpose if desired and know what behavior to expect from the field.

It's certainly something we can consider, but we haven't had this feedback from others. I think that the "date types" are fairly self-evident, for things like phone number or website fields, and regular text stuff, like names. We'll continue to evaluate though as we get feedback from the rest of the 1Password user base.

On#5, the customer service number field is from the template, so I have no access to the datatype. Hopefully that clarifies. Let me know if I missed the mark.

Thanks! It seems like the data type is mistakenly not set for that particular field. I've filed an issue so we can get that fixed. :)

ref: dev/apple/issues#4333

• twojtyniak
    twojtyniak
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for digging into it, brenty. One last thought on #4 and I'll leave it be. The challenge I see with not showing the data type is that once the original field name is changed, the implicit datatype information is gone. I'd propose that it would be friendliest to just display the datatype as is done on the custom fields. The effort required to do this is something that I do not know, of course.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Honestly we just shouldn't be allowing the default template to be modified like that. It only causes confusion, and custom fields are very flexible and designed for that purpose. But all of this is stuff we need to consider as we design future versions of 1Password, hopefully to allow creating entirely new templates as desired. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.