Feature Request: List Items that a Document is attached to in the Document's description

Options
Calion
Calion
Community Member

With the new Documents format, it's often difficult to tell just why I have a particular Document. If whatever Item the Document is associated with (if any) were listed in the Document's description (in just the way that attached Documents are listed in the associated item's description), that would make things easier. It would also make it more difficult to lose my "place"; I click on a Document in an item's description, and it pops to that Document—but there's no easy way to get back.

1Password Version: 7.3.2
Extension Version: 7.3.2
OS Version: macOS 10.14.6
Sync Type: 1Password.com

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Jim A Syler!

Thank you very much for taking time out of your day to to share this feedback! We appreciate every idea that could make 1Password even better.

I can see how this could be useful to you, so while I cannot make any promises, I can tell you that I have shared your feedback internally :)

Once again, thank you and have a wonderful day!

• kriro
    kriro
    Community Member
    Options

I also migrated to Family, and I wholeheartedly support Jim A Syler's request.

Question: When I delete an item (e.g. a login item) that links to some documents (automatically created by migrating from local 1PW6 vault to new Family vault), do those get deleted as well? Or do I wind up with a bunch of stale documents that are no longer linked to any item? If so, is there a search condition that lets me search for "document that is not linked to any other 1PW item and was created by way of 1PW's item migration"? Otherwise, this is going to become a huge mess in the Documents category over time, with unlinked, no longer needed, stale items piling up.

Thinking of this, wouldn't it be a good idea to have 1PW tag documents that get created by way of the Related Items > Add New File convenience function with a special tag, e.g. "1PWAttachment" so that I later quickly know whether a document was added to the vault explicitly by myself as standalone document (no tag), or if it was added automatically by 1PW by way of the "Add new related file" to an item (has that tag)?

Thanks,
    Christian

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

When I delete an item (e.g. a login item) that links to some documents (automatically created by migrating from local 1PW6 vault to new Family vault), do those get deleted as well?

@kriro: No. Only deleting the Document deletes the Document.

Or do I wind up with a bunch of stale documents that are no longer linked to any item?

I don't understand the question. It sounds like the presumption is that any Document which is not linked to anything else is necessarily "stale" or otherwise useless, and that's definitely not the case for me and for others. Most of my Documents are not linked to anything. They're just important files that I am safekeeping in 1Password.

If so, is there a search condition that lets me search for "document that is not linked to any other 1PW item and was created by way of 1PW's item migration"?

There is not, but perhaps we can add something like that in the future.

Otherwise, this is going to become a huge mess in the Documents category over time, with unlinked, no longer needed, stale items piling up.

Though, again, I don't think it's a fair assumption that non-linked Documents are inherently unneeded.

Thinking of this, wouldn't it be a good idea to have 1PW tag documents that get created by way of the Related Items > Add New File convenience function with a special tag, e.g. "1PWAttachment" so that I later quickly know whether a document was added to the vault explicitly by myself as standalone document (no tag), or if it was added automatically by 1PW by way of the "Add new related file" to an item (has that tag)?

You can certainly tag them that way if you want. It's a cool idea. Not something I would have thought of, but that's part of the beauty of tags: people can use them for all sorts of things. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.