To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Version 7 upgrade. Is a membership really necessary?

lheckert
lheckert
Community Member

I have happily used 1Password since 2011 and have recommended it to many. However, I am with the others who posted in this forum and dislike the cloud model and the apparent abandonment of customers with pre-version 7 licenses, who prefer the stand-alone model. By not providing support for these older versions or better options not requiring a monthly cloud/update fee, you are forcing people to either go with the monthly fee/cloud business paradigm or look elsewhere. I don't like being stuck with a monthly fee or placing my data on a cloud but it seems that is required if I am to get the necessary support to keep my 1Password information safe. Please confirm if I have this correct or if there is a way to have a secure stand alone version. Also, my 1Password Safari extension recently disappeared requiring me to use a non-cloud version 7 extension. Unfortunately, this does not sync with my desktop 1Password nor fill in website data. Is there a way to fix this or get the old browser extension back?
Hopefully, 1Password will consider non-membership, non-cloud options for those of us who prefer a stand alone version that has security updates.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @lheckert! Welcome to the forum!

While we believe that the 1Password Membership is the best option for most users, you can certainly purchase a license for 1Password 7 if you prefer. Just download 1Password 7 from our website and you will be prompted to purchase a license :)

• lheckert
    lheckert
    Community Member

Please explain why 1Password membership is better. The way I look at it, it ties me into paying a $36-$60 a year, whereas I have had my 1Password for about the same price for 8 years. 1Password has worked great for the last 8 years and I do not see how putting my information on a cloud will improve on it. I don't want to change but I also do not want to be forced into putting my information on a cloud and be stuck with a monthly fee.

How much does the 1Password downloaded from the website it cost and does it come with security updates?

Also, what about the Safari extension. The version I had was removed somehow and when I tried to replace it through the app store the only version available was for 1Password 7. This does not work well at all with version 6. Will it work with a stand alone version of 1Password 7.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@lheckert:

A Membership comes with many features that are not available with a standalone license.

Basically, everything is included with memberships. All the devices you need are included for free, sync happens automatically, backups are taken care of straight away, everything you would expect is there. You get storage for secured documents, item history, watchtower, travel mode, two-factor authentication for your 1Password account, ease of sharing with your family and more.

How much does the 1Password downloaded from the website it cost and does it come with security updates?

Licenses normally cost $64.99 but are currently on sale for $49.99. You get security updates for the version you purchase, but future updates might require a paid upgrade.

Also, what about the Safari extension. The version I had was removed somehow and when I tried to replace it through the app store the only version available was for 1Password 7. This does not work well at all with version 6. Will it work with a stand alone version of 1Password 7.

The extension will work fine with 1Password 7. You can read more about what happened to the Safari extension in 1Password 6 here.

• lheckert
    lheckert
    Community Member

Could give me more specifics regarding the difference between 1Password membership and an 1Password family membership. Does the family version have different account so to speak (i.e different Master Passwords)? For the single membership, can you have in on multiple devices (computers and multiple phones)?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@lheckert:

Could give me more specifics regarding the difference between 1Password membership and an 1Password family membership.

In a Families Membership, you can have multiple users using 1Password, each with their own Secret Key and Master Password. The advantage of this over several Individual accounts are the lower price and the possibility to share data with each other, and recover each other's accounts if necessary.

For the single membership, can you have in on multiple devices (computers and multiple phones)?

Yes, but this option is only for a single user with multiple devices, not for multiple users.

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

Many of us had the licenced version of 1PW for about eight years or so. But this was a gift from AgileBits to us. The upgrade from version 4 to 5 and from 5 to 6 were free, but one would normally expect these to be charged for. When making a comparison of licence and membership one should really expect to pay each time there is a major upgrade of 1PW. I reckon that makes the prices comparable, though membership is somewhat more expensive.

• Indeed. We've tried to be as generous as possible, and as such some folks have gotten an absolutely amazing deal on their initial investment. Going forward I would expect a 1Password Families membership to be as or more cost effective than licensing for multiple family members, particularly if multiple platforms are needed (which would require separate licenses). Obviously the more family members you include in your membership and/or the more platforms you use the more cost effective it becomes.

Additionally, for mobile-only users (e.g. folks who only have an iPhone and/or iPad) membership is the only way to become a new 1Password customer. It isn't possible to use the mobile apps without one of the desktop apps as a new customer without a membership.

Ben

• Paulette
    Paulette
    Community Member

I think I successfully upgraded from v. 6.9 to v. 7.3.2 today but in the course of installation, the question never came up asking me whether I wanted a standalone license or a membership as the instructions indicated. I definitely want a standalone license (I have no other devices to sync with) but never got the chance to say so. Also there was never a payment exchange. Could someone please verify that I bought a license only and explain how I pay for it?

Paulette

• Hi @Paulette

Did you download 1Password from our website, or from the Mac App Store? The App Store version is subscription only.

Ben

• Paulette
    Paulette
    Community Member

I followed the instructions to shut down 1Password completely, then installed v. 7.3.2 that I downloaded from Agile Bits website. Everything seemed successful. I then doubled checked that Dropbox was still properly synced and it was. Everything is working fine but I can't figure out whether I was involuntarily registered as a membership or I simply bought a stand alone license. And nowhere in the process did anyone demand payment.

Paulette

• @Paulette

In 1Password > Preferences > Accounts do you see an account listed?
    If so you've signed up for a 1Password membership, which is likely still in the trial period.

If you don't... do you see a "read only" button in the upper right corner of the 1Password app?

Ben

• Paulette
    Paulette
    Community Member

I didn't see an account listed but do see "read only" button in upper right corner of the app.

Paulette

• Okay. Clicking on that read only button should give you the option to purchase a license.

Ben

• Paulette
    Paulette
    Community Member

Ben, are you there today? Still awaiting your further advice. -- Paulette

• @Paulette

Did you see my reply just above yours?

Ben

• Paulette
    Paulette
    Community Member

Sorry... for some reason your reply didn't show up on my end. I clicked your most recent email and now I see everything. I'll click on read only and buy a license. Thanks so much.

Paulette

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Glad Ben was able to help. :)

• johnk83776
    johnk83776
    Community Member

So, I guess I am in my free trial period. although Ir eally don't want my data stored on any clouds anywhere. But more importantly for right now is the fact that I CANNOT SYNC my Mac OSX 10.14.6 with my iPhone XR iOS 12.4.1 or my iPad 12.4.1. There really is no reason to pay for this if it won't sync.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@johnk83776: Can you elaborate? What's the difficulty you're having setting up your devices with the 1Password membership account?

To clarify, your 1Password data is encrypted locally on your device using "keys" which only you have that are never sent to us, so only you will have the means to decrypt it (and that happens locally on your device as well).

• johnk83776
    johnk83776
    Community Member

When I try to sync using a WLAN like I have for many years, everything seems to work just fine. Until I check my phone and none of my revised passwords have actually been transferred.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@johnk83776:

WLAN sync method is completely under your control, and therefore the most complicated to setup. There are many reason why sync could fail with it, starting from your own network. Can you please try these troubleshooting tips and see if they help?

• johnk83776
    johnk83776
    Community Member

So, I have gone through all of the suggestions. Most of the settings did not require changing. But ultimately nothing has solved the problem. As such, I guess I can agree that this is a new version of 1Password, but I sure can't say it's improved. The whole problem here is caused by my inability to understand how putting my data on someone else's computer somewhere(?) is a good way to maintain security. I just read a list of all the data breaches at DropBox.
    In fact, I tried going back to Version 6, but of course none of my data was there. Is there a way I can get my data back to Version 6 (that will really work)? Speaking of which, when I go to the 1Password page, I see all my current data there. So I assume my data has already been transferred to your computer.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

So, I have gone through all of the suggestions. Most of the settings did not require changing. But ultimately nothing has solved the problem.

@johnk83776: What did require changing? That may provide some clue as to why it's different for you than for others.

The whole problem here is caused by my inability to understand how putting my data on someone else's computer somewhere(?) is a good way to maintain security. I just read a list of all the data breaches at DropBox.

1Password is not Dropbox, and they work in fundamentally different ways. With 1Password data is encrypted locally on your device, and only you ever have the "keys" to decrypt it. That goes whether you're using WLAN Server, 1Password.com, or even Dropbox to sync your 1Password data. By design, a breach of our server doesn't give the attacker the means to access anyone's data, because we only have encrypted data; and with a 1Password account both the Master Password you choose and the (128-bit, randomly-generated) Secret Key generated on your device during signup are needed to decrypt the data. You can check out the white paper for more details on how all this works, but that's the key: we don't have the keys to any of our customers' data -- just our own. ;)

In fact, I tried going back to Version 6, but of course none of my data was there. Is there a way I can get my data back to Version 6 (that will really work)?

1Password doesn't destroy data, but if you removed the old vault when migrating to an account you'd need to use File > Restore if you wanted to go back to that.

Speaking of which, when I go to the 1Password page, I see all my current data there. So I assume my data has already been transferred to your computer.

If you mean that you can access your data by signing into your 1Password account in the browser, then yes that is stored encrypted on our server, and then decrypted by the web app running locally in your browser.

• Scenic_Gardens
    Scenic_Gardens
    Community Member

Hi,

I am using 1Password 6 on my Mac and PC and using 1Password on my iPhone (running iOS 13.1.2) and iPad (running iOS 12.4.2).

My data is synched via Dropbox.

If I upgrade to iPassword 7's subscription model, will I be able to continue to use 1Password on all 4 types of platforms?

If so, what's the detailed order of steps I need to take?

They will all synch without using Dropbox then, correct?

I am worried that the iOS platforms will need to use older software that requires synching through Dropbox, and then I won't have a single vault across platforms.

Please help. Thanks.
    Stephanie

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I am using 1Password 6 on my Mac and PC and using 1Password on my iPhone (running iOS 13.1.2) and iPad (running iOS 12.4.2). My data is synched via Dropbox.

@Scenic_Gardens: Sounds good! Thanks for letting me know. :)

If I upgrade to iPassword 7's subscription model, will I be able to continue to use 1Password on all 4 types of platforms?

Yes! And that includes any updates as well.

If so, what's the detailed order of steps I need to take?

This guide will take you through signing up for the membership, migrating your existing data to the account, and setting up your devices:

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

And if you have any questions along the way, just let us know. We're here for you!

They will all synch without using Dropbox then, correct?

That's correct. 1Password memberships have built-in sync. You just sign into your account on each device, and you're good to go. :)

I am worried that the iOS platforms will need to use older software that requires synching through Dropbox, and then I won't have a single vault across platforms.

If you run some outdated software long enough, you will almost certainly encounter some compatibility issues as everything else evolves. But 1Password works on both iOS 12 and 13 at present. If there are other specific device/OS combinations you're concerned about, let me know.

• Scenic_Gardens
    Scenic_Gardens
    Community Member

@brenty: Thank you Brenty.

Unfortunately the Mac where I'm running 1Password6 is too old to get the latest operating system. It's at its highest possible version (10.11.6).

When I tried to download 1Password 7 onto it, I got an error message saying that it can't be downloaded to this version of the os.

What do you recommend now?

• Scenic_Gardens
    Scenic_Gardens
    Community Member

@brenty: I also have a PC that's running 1Password 4.

However, this PC had too little memory to store all of my Dropbox files, so I stopped syncing my Dropbox on this PC so that I could delete files to make space (without deleting them from Dropbox). Now Dropbox has the ability to minimize space usage by storing most of the files in the cloud, but it didn't when I did this, and I can't sync my dropbox now because it will cause a lot of files I want to keep to be deleted.

So it has very old values in 1Password.

If you tell me where to find all the necessary files for 1Password, I could try upgrading my 1Password4 to 1Password6 (if that's possible) and then copying the 1Password 6 files from my old Mac to my PC. Then I could upgrade it to 1Password 7 and import the vault.

I ultimately want to run 1Password 7 on my newer Mac (os 10.13.6), my PC running Windows 7, my iPhone (iOS 13.1.2) and my iPad (iOS 12.4.2).

Thanks.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Scenic_Gardens:

Unfortunately the Mac where I'm running 1Password6 is too old to get the latest operating system. It's at its highest possible version (10.11.6).

You can use 1Password 6 on this older Mac until you get the chance to upgrade to a newer version of the operating system.

If you tell me where to find all the necessary files for 1Password, I could try upgrading my 1Password4 to 1Password6 (if that's possible) and then copying the 1Password 6 files from my old Mac to my PC. Then I could upgrade it to 1Password 7 and import the vault.

Do you have a device where you have all your recent 1Password data?

• Scenic_Gardens
    Scenic_Gardens
    Community Member

@ag_ana:

The only devices that have all my recent 1Password data are my old Mac (that can't upgrade to 1Password 7) and my iPhone

• johnk83776
    johnk83776
    Community Member

brenty, OK, you talked me into a subscription. I do appreciate your description of how data security is maintained even when other computers are involved. I look forward to all my new passwords syncing automatically now.
    As for the settings I changed in trying to use WLAN, the only things I changed were things like using a Mac-to-phone connection rather than using my network. So, while I hate to leave that question unanswered.....
    Thank you for all your help. I still think 1Password is one of the absolute best apps I have and I have, and will continue to recommend it without reservation.

This discussion has been closed.