Add optional flag to source config json file on login

jpmmcbride
jpmmcbride
Community Member

Problem:
I primarily pair program at work on shared "pairing" stations. 1 or two other engineers work all together on these stations. It's impractical for me to install the 1password plugin / app on each of these stations but, I still want / need to access my accounts and passwords.

I was delighted to find the 1password CLI but I noticed a problem likely unique to my situation - the default ~/.op/config artifact.

It's nice that the command line tool will recognize this json file in the home directory so that easy sign in is possible, but now, all of my co-workers can access the config with my secret access key, 1pass email etc etc.

I don't want to have to go through the trouble of deleting the config file each day I move pairing stations, and I also don't want to have to go through the trouble of signing in with my secret account key each time I go to a new computer.

Solution
I carry an encrypted thumb drive on me with work ssh keys, scripts, and other necessary personal little tid bits. It'd be great if I could just source the config file directly from that thumb drive. That way, the 1password CLI artifact stays on my person and I can easily unmount the drive if needed.

TLDR:
As a user of the 1password command line tool
I want to be able to source the config json file on sign in from my password protected encrypted thumb drive
In order that no 1password artifacts are left on "public" computers.

Please let me know if you have questions - I would love to see this feature come to the CLI!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: MacOS
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• cohix
    cohix
    1Password Alumni

@jpmmcbride That is an interesting scenario! I will point out that the CLI will take preference to $XDG_CONFIG_HOME over $HOME, so perhaps you could use that to your benefit?

This discussion has been closed.