What are the benefits of upgrading from 1Password version 6.8.9 to a 1Password 7 family membership?

Options

We have a 3 license version of 1Password v 6.8.9 purchased on the Mac app store. Is working great and we love it. What would be the benefits of upgrading to version7? Which is preferable - a license or a family mebership? Cost? How difficult is it to upgrade? I don’t want to run the risk of “breaking” something that is working very well. Will Version 6.8.9 work with the new OS (Catalina)?

1Password Version: 6.8.9
Extension Version: 4.7.4
OS Version: OS 10.12.6
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:We have a 3 user license of 1Password version 6.8.9 purchased on the Mac app store. It works great and we love it!! What would be the benefit(s) to our family of upgrading to 1 Password Version 7? What is required and how difficult is the transfer/upgrade? Cost? Will Version 6.8.9 work with Catalina OS? Please advise. Thanks.

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @Harrison52,

Is working great and we love it.

Great! I'm glad to hear it. We appreciate your long time use of 1Password.

What would be the benefits of upgrading to version7?

You can read about some of the benefits of v7 specifically here:

1Password 7 for Mac: The Best Ever | 1Password

There would also be benefits to upgrading to a membership (more on that below).

Which is preferable - a license or a family mebership? Cost?

A 1Password Families membership would be the recommended path forward. On top of getting you 1Password 7 for you and all of your compatible devices it would also allow up to 4 additional family members have the same, with their own account and data. More family members can be added if needed for a small fee. Upgrades are included so long as the membership is in good standing (no more having to purchase upgrades). It also makes secure sharing of some data, if desired, possible.

We have a guide explaining the benefits of membership here:

About 1Password membership

You can learn about how to invite your family to create accounts within your 1Password Families membership here:

Share passwords in 1Password Families

How difficult is it to upgrade? I don’t want to run the risk of “breaking” something that is working very well.

I understand the concern. 1Password 7 has been out for well over a year now and so we've had a fair amount of time to make sure the upgrade experience goes smoothly. I wouldn't anticipate any difficulties in upgrading, but if you do have any trouble we'll be here to help.

Will Version 6.8.9 work with the new OS (Catalina)?

Not fully, no. For example, Safari 13 uses an all new extension framework, and as such will not work with v6. Safari 13 is included with Catalina (and also available for some earlier versions of macOS). We can't recommend using an older version. 1Password 6 has been retired and is no longer being updated. As a security focused company we'd always recommend running the latest versions of all of your software, but especially your operating system, web browser(s), and 1Password. If you opt to use an earlier version that is your prerogative, but it isn't something we can recommend. That said, licenses never expire, and so you can continue using any version you've licensed for as long as it works for you. As things continue to evolve around the now retired v6 it will be less and less practical to continue using it.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.