1Password Chrome extension not working on Windows

Options

Hello,

I can't get the Chrome extension to work on Windows. The Fill Login keyboard shortcut doesn't work (although Open app and Show 1Password mini do). When I click the icon I only get the option 1Password, which doesn't do anything when I click.

Clicking Open and fill in the desktop app doesn't work either; the URL opens but it doesn't fill.

I have tried these steps: https://support.1password.com/extension-troubleshooting/ Didn't help.

Everything is turned on under Browsers in 1Password settings. I messed around with Connected Browsers; there was an entry for Chrome but it said it was disconnected, so I removed it. I haven't been able to bring it back, so that list is empty now.

Up until now I used 1Password X, which worked well, but I think I prefer the desktop interface and it would be nice to only have to unlock 1Password once per session.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

1Password Version: 7.3.712
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: Windows 10 Pro 1809
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @dasharoldja! Welcome to the forum!

What version of Chrome is this happening with? While you are at it, can you please also make sure that there are no pending updates in the browser?

• dasharoldja
    dasharoldja
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @ag_ana,

Thanks. Chrome is at version 77.0.3865.90. It says no updates available.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @dasharoldja
    Thanks for the info. Can you please try removing the 1Password extension from Chrome, restarting the computer, opening 1Password and then installing the extension again from here: https://1password.com/browsers/

If that didn't work, please try that as well:
    1. Press the Windows key + R on your keyboard to open the "Run" terminal (also available from the start menu if you prefer).
    2. Write "1password.exe --setup" (without the quotes).
    3. Click on "OK" and let it do its thing. Might take a moment.
    4. Open and unlock 1Password, then open Chrome and see if the extension is responding.

• dasharoldja
    dasharoldja
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Yaron,

Thanks for those suggestions. No luck I'm afraid.

I had tried the uninstall/reboot/reinstall step before, I think it was in one of the support articles I read. But I wasn't sure if it had made a point of having 1Password open while installing the extension so I tried it again.

When that didn't work, I tried the setup thing. It only took a second, then it opened with "1Password has just been updated to version 7.3.712", which is the version I already had installed.

I don't know if this is relevant, maybe I should have mentioned it earlier, but the icon for the extension is gray and disabled-looking, not the blue icon I recall from 1Password X.

Thanks for your support so far, I appreciate it.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2019
    Options

Hey @dasharoldja , thanks for the update.
    The companion extension is indeed gery-ish, unlike the 1Password X extension which is white and blue :)

Not much else I can offer except trying to uninstall and reinstall the browser itself without taking a better look at your setup, so feel free to send us a diagnostics report from your computer to support+extension@1password.com by following the instructions here: https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/

• dasharoldja
    dasharoldja
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. I did uninstall and reinstall Chrome, but it didn't seem to help. I didn't choose to "remove my web data", though. Emailing the report now!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you for the update @dasharoldja!

We have received your email and we will get back to you over there as soon as possible.

Have a wonderful day :)

ref: LQL-23383-187

• dasharoldja
    dasharoldja
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for your help, the issue is now resolved!

The problem was that I had another Chrome profile on the same computer that I hadn't used in a while, and it still had 1Password X installed since it hadn't synced my extensions since I last used it.

I just had to synchronize the other profile and restart my computer to solve the issue.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you for the update @dasharoldja! I am very happy to hear things are working as expected now.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

• dasharoldja
    dasharoldja
    Community Member
    Options

Hello again,

I'm afraid the extension has stopped working again, for both Chrome profiles. Looking at my browser settings in 1Password, I can see two identical Chrome instances (I assume these correspond to the two profiles), but they're both marked as "Disconnected". Could that be related?

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @dasharoldja ,
    If the issue is reoccurring, perhaps a 3rd party app is responsible for these disconnections?

Can you please try and boot your computer in safe mode with networking, then open 1Password and unlock it, open Chrome and see if it works?

• dasharoldja
    dasharoldja
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @Yaron,

The extension does work in safe mode. I made a half-hearted attempt at closing everything that could be closed from the task bar, but it didn't help. I'm also a little uncertain what I need to do in order to see any potential effects -- do I need to restart my computer, or just restart Chrome?

Please let me know if there is anything else I could try. I suppose you have my running programs already in the report I sent you.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @dasharoldja , Thanks for the additional info.
    If everything works well in safe mode it does indicate a possible 3rd party app that is causing this.

I'm not very familiar with some of the software you have installed there, my best guess would be to try and disable Comodo internet security completely (or even remove it for the purpose of testing) and restart the computer, then try and see if 1Password works properly.

• dasharoldja
    dasharoldja
    Community Member
    Options

Comodo Internet Security does indeed seem to have been the problem! I had to uninstall it and restart the computer to see it work.

So, mystery (probably) finally solved. Thanks for your help.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Really? That's great to hear, @dasharoldja !
    I really took a shot in the dark there, but I'm glad we found the culprit. :)

Time to find a new anti-virus I guess.

This discussion has been closed.