To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Problem with authenticator app

Options
jmb679
jmb679
Community Member

Just got a new iPhone and experienced problems with 1PW. So, I deleted and reinstalled 1PW. Reinstalled 1PW app requires that I log into my account. I had enabled 2-Factor using an authenticator app. However, when I enter 6-digit code, 1PW refuses this code and forces me to re-enter my Master Password and, then, a 6-digit code. I am in a loop and cannot complete install on my iPhone. Furthermore, I cannot log into my 1PW account on my MacBook Pro. Probably something simple that I missing but I can't figure it out. Need help at asap.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jmb679!

Are you able to login to your account on 1Password.com in a browser, instead of in the apps?

• jmb679
    jmb679
    Community Member
    Options

No, cannot log in when using Safari on my MBPro.

• jmb679
    jmb679
    Community Member
    Options

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jmb679:

Thank you for the confirmation. The very first thing that is worth checking is if the time is the same on all of your devices. 2FA is very time-sensitive, so any drift in time on any of your devices could cause the authenticator codes to be rejected.

A good resource that makes it easy to check this is the following website:

https://time.is/

After making sure the time is the same on every one of your devices, your authenticator codes should be accepted.

Please let me know if this worked!

• jmb679
    jmb679
    Community Member
    Options

I believe both my iPhone and MBPro have the same time. I am totally confused right now. Do I need to tell my authenticator app that I am using it for 1PW 2-Factor? Posting requires a 300 second delay between posts. Can we talk on phone?

• jmb679
    jmb679
    Community Member
    Options

I think I figured it out. Turned off 2FA on MBPro and followed instructions.

• jmb679
    jmb679
    Community Member
    Options

By deleting and reinstalling 1PW on my new iPhone I was able to resolve certain problems related to filling in credentials on apps like REI, Best Buy, etc. However, as noted above, I had problems with completing install related to 2FA. As noted above, "I think I figured it out." and was able to complete 1PW install on iPhone. However, after I re-enabled 2FA using 1PW on MB Pro, I am now unable to complete log in procedure on iPhone. So, I had to disable 2FA. I can't go into details right now. But, just letting you know that there may be a problem with 2FA on iPhone running iOS 13.1.2.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jmb679:

I am now unable to complete log in procedure on iPhone.

Can you please clarify exactly what happens if you try to login on your iPhone with 2FA enabled?

• jmb679
    jmb679
    Community Member
    Options

After enabling 2FA, it appears that I get caught in a loop. I enter the 6 digit code from Symantec VIP Access, then 1PW wants my Master Password. Then it asks for another 6 digit code after I enter my password. But, if I tap the Cancel button, I can get into 1PW. Trying to troubleshoot this will be very difficult if I can't speak to someone on the phone and provide immediate feedback as I test this. I am going to disable 2FA.

• jmb679
    jmb679
    Community Member
    Options

Ok, I will try to clarify. First, I enabled 2FA on https://my.1password.com. Then, I launched 1PW on my iPhone 11 Pro. 1PW wants a six-digit code from my authentication app (VIP Access). I enter the code and 1PW takes me to a screen where it wants my Master Password. I enter this password and 1PW takes me back to screen where it wants six-digit code. Looks like I am in a loop that I cannot escape. I have to disable 2FA on https://my.1password.com to use 1PW on my iPhone.

• Ben
    Options

@jmb679

It sounds like the VIP Access app is not generating the correct codes for your account. Please double check that the date, time, and timezone are accurate on all of your devices and then try using a different app to generate TOTP codes (e.g. Authy).

Ben

• jmb679
    jmb679
    Community Member
    Options

ok, I downloaded Authy and I am able to log into 1PW on iPhone. However, I am a bit confused. I enabled Face ID on iPhone. Am I correct that Face ID overrides 2FA? In other words, because Face ID is enabled, 1PW does not require an authentication code? Also, when logging into 1PW from my MacBook Pro, there is no prompt to enter an auth code. This does not make sense to me.

• jmb679
    jmb679
    Community Member
    Options

Am I not being prompted for an auth code because both my iPhone and MacBook Pro are known, "trusted" devices?

• jmb679
    jmb679
    Community Member
    Options

I think I figured it out. I can require 2FA on my devices via "Authorized Devices".

• Ben
    Options

Correct; 2FA is only used to authorize a device. Once a device is authorized it will not require 2FA again unless/until it becomes unauthorized.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.