What's the difference between Login and Generated Password items?

I just spent quite a few hours pulling my hair out trying to get some passwords to sync between devices. On my laptop, I had changed my Facebook password to be a secure, generated password. But once I had done that, the entry I had saved (not just a generated password, to be clear, but a separate entry) was not showing up in either 1Password for iPad or 1PasswordAnywhere.

In a fit of frustration, I tried logging in again and having 1Password save a new login entry—which seems to have worked.

Now, I'm happy that the problem is solved—but I am at a loss to figure out what the difference between these two item types is, and why one syncs and the other doesn't. How do I make sure I don't create one of the non-syncable items again?

For reference, I've posted both items below. The one with the blue header and the website preview syncs fine. The other one—with less chrome around it—does not. In fact, it seems to be missing many of the fields I'd expect there to be.

So how the heck did I create this weird half-featured item??

Comments

• I'm going to go ahead and answer my own question here: it seems like what I was seeing actually is a generated password. I didn't realize that (of course) typing a string into the search field also presents generated passwords, which do not sync at this time.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Welcome to the forums, Tom!

Generated Password items are a safety net. They are in fact synced with all platforms but cannot be viewed in the iPad app at this time. They are available in the Mac and Windows apps, 1PasswordAnywhere, as well as the iPhone app.

[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"]A Generated Password item is created each time you click the "Save" button in the generator (within the app) or the "Fill" button within the generator in the browser extension. They do no harm in the Generated Passwords section, and you can delete them if you wish. The Generated Passwords section is intended to be a [/font]safety net[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"], though, so we recommend leaving it intact. You can toggle its display in the sidebar if you wish ([/font]Preferences > General > Display in Sidebar > Generated Passwords[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"]). It is completely separate from your [/font]Logins[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"] which are the main items used for logging in via the mobile apps' built-in browser and the browser extensions on your desktop.[/font]

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]If anyone knows about an abundance of generated passwords cluttering up a data file, you can be sure that we at AgileBits do (with all the testing we constantly perform)! There are too many to worry about. I treat it like my Gmail archive. I never look at it, but I can search it if I ever need to. And I have certainly needed to once or twice after I thought I had saved a login but hadn't. Saved my bacon on more than one occasion.[/font]

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I hope that helps explain the situation a bit better. Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns.[/font]
  • molar
    molar
    Community Member
    Hi guys,

I'm new to 1Password, just purchased the version for the Mac and apps for the iPad and iPhone. (talk)

Please could you tell me what the Generated Passwords folder is for? This is the folder that can be turned on from the preferences. I looked at the help guide but I still don't understand the purpose of this folder.

Thanks!
  • thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited September 2012
    Its the backup failsafe of passwords you generate when filling a login form.

For example I go to site A and fill in there form for registration, I generate a unique password in 1Password.

I submit the form. oops I forgot to save the login or in some rare cases the prompt doesn't appear in the browser asking to save the data.

I can open the generated passwords retrieve the password, login again and this time when prompted make sure to save it.

In short most people think they want need it, I did at first but let me tell you it has saved my back on a few occasions. Better than going thru a password retrieval process.

Let me know if I need to clarify an more, my wife tells me sometimes I get in my own little world and what makes sense to me doesn't to others. :)
  • molar
    molar
    Community Member
    edited September 2012
    Thank you, brilliant! I'm sure it will be useful when I least expect it. It will save me scribbling down a random password until I have time to create it properly anyway. I am very impressed with the browser plugins so far.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Thanks for the kind words, molar! I merged your post with an existing thread about Generated Passwords. I think thightower summed it up well, but feel free to read my post above as well. :D
  • molar
    molar
    Community Member
    Just used Generated Passwords for the first time. (y) It's a shame they don't appear on the iPad version but I guess you guys are working on that.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Indeed. That and much more on the way. I think you will find it to be more than worth the wait. :)
This discussion has been closed.