Going from standalone license to subscription and back again if not happy but with prorated payment

I currently own a 1Password 6 standalone license. As soon as Safari 13 came out the 1Password extension no longer works. >>>It would be nice if Agilebits would fix this.

My question is: Say I pay for a subscription. What happens if 6 months later I realize that I don't like/want the subscription anymore and want to go back to a standalone license? Will I lose the money I paid for the subscription or do you have some sort of prorated side-grade path?

Another similar question but the other way around: Say I buy a standalone license now but then decide I want to subscribe? Will the money I paid for the standalone license be totally lost?

Finally: why don't you offer a discount for existing 1Password standalone license holders who want to update to a newer version of a standalone license? Most other software I use offers this.

Thanks

1Password Version: 6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Mac OS Mojave
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

Hi @projectguru

I currently own a 1Password 6 standalone license. As soon as Safari 13 came out the 1Password extension no longer works. >>>It would be nice if Agilebits would fix this.

We did. It's called 1Password 7. :)

Say I pay for a subscription. What happens if 6 months later I realize that I don't like/want the subscription anymore and want to go back to a standalone license? Will I lose the money I paid for the subscription or do you have some sort of prorated side-grade path?

You wouldn't lose the money. You would have had the benefit of using your 1Password membership for 6 months. There is no prorated option for moving to a license, though.

Say I buy a standalone license now but then decide I want to subscribe? Will the money I paid for the standalone license be totally lost?

What options will exist would depend on how much time has elapsed. Generally within 60 days we're able to offer a refund on a license. If you'd prefer, we could apply that payment toward membership instead. We do occasionally have other offers available to help folks upgrade from licenses to membership, but that would be situational, and I couldn't make any firm promises.

why don't you offer a discount for existing 1Password standalone license holders who want to update to a newer version of a standalone license? Most other software I use offers this.

We do. Licenses are currently on sale (as of writing; may end soon) for $50 USD + tax instead of the regular $65 USD + tax for a limited time, with the intention of helping existing customers upgrade. That said, membership is the way forward. :+1:

Ben

• Thanks for your reply Ben.

What happens if I purchase version 7 standalone license and 6 months later you announce version 8?

My point is, I don't want to buy towards the mid or end of an upgrade cycle. Under such a circumstance I wouldn't expect to get a refund but at the same time I wouldn't want to pay full price again.

Also, when do you expect version 8 to come out?

Thanks

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member
    edited October 10

@projectguru

Thanks for your reply Ben.

My pleasure. :)

What happens if I purchase version 7 standalone license and 6 months later you announce version 8?

The general rule would be that you'd have a license for 1Password 7 that would not be valid for 1Password 8. In the past there have been cases where that wouldn't be true (more on that below), but officially the position is that licenses do not include upgrades.

We do typically offer a grace period such that someone doesn't buy a license one day and then have a new version come out the next week that they aren't licensed for, but 6 months would likely fall outside of that, if I were to speculate. No official announcements regarding 1Password 8 have been made yet.

My point is, I don't want to buy towards the mid or end of an upgrade cycle. Under such a circumstance I wouldn't expect to get a refund but at the same time I wouldn't want to pay full price again.

Understood. If history is any indicator, without doing a lot of math, we generally release a new major version every 18 to 30 months. 1Password 7 has been out for 16 months. We have at times included upgrades for license purchasers. For example, the 1Password 4 for Mac license was actually valid for all versions of 1Password for Mac up through v6. That is the exception, rather than the rule, though.

We try to be as generous as possible while also being fair to ourselves and being sure that our people are compensated for the work we're doing.

Also, when do you expect version 8 to come out?

The best I could offer is what I've written above. We haven't announced anything yet.

Ben

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file