To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Steps to move from 1P7 Membership to 1P7 Standalone and remove data from the cloud

Options
jonbarker
jonbarker
Community Member

This is really a post hoping for help from 1PW team, but I'm posting here rather than emailing as I guess there are other folks in my position after recent the Mac OS release.

I upgraded to Mac OS Catalina and realised the 1P6 Safari extension broke. To fix the extension I upgraded to 1P7 and have been dragged into the subscription membership and my data has been synched with 1password.com. I want to use 1P7 in the same manner I did with 1P6 which is:

• Have a local Mac 1P app with Safari Extension working
  • Password data stored in a local vault on the Mac and not synched with an online service (1pw.com or iCloud)
  • Local syncing over wifi between my Mac and 1P on iOS

Current status: I installed 1P7 from the Mac App Store and as part of the install process it's setup a subscription and synched data with 1password.com. I didn't realise this would happen in advance, but later read that I could have licensed 1P7 standalone by downloading it from the website. I tried this after the Map App Store install but don't see an option to license standalone - if I go to the "License..." menu it reports that I am licensed via a subscription.

Question 1: Can I achieve the same model that I used to have (outlined above) using 1P7?

Question 2: If yes, can you set out the specific steps I need to follow to move to the above model and permanently delete my data from 1password.com? I can't figure out how to un-subscribe to the membership, delete my 1pw account and move back to a local setup with a standalone license.

Thanks

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.3.2 (70302004)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.15
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @jonbarker

Membership is the way forward, but if you'd like to revert to a standalone setup you can find instructions here:

How to move your data to a standalone vault to use 1Password without an account

Once complete if you want to delete your membership trial you can find instructions for that here:

How to delete your 1Password account

I hope that helps!

Ben

• jonbarker
    jonbarker
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Ben,

Is there any value in a membership if I don't want my data to be synced with 1password servers? As far as I can tell membership = cloud based 1Password only, or am I missing something?

• Ben
    Options

With membership your 1Password data is synced via 1Password.com. Would you mind talking about why you don't see that as a benefit? There are a number of features that are only available because of that arrangement... other sync options just don't have the flexibility required to offer those features.

Ben

• jonbarker
    jonbarker
    Community Member
    Options

Of course - it's purely a data security thing... I have two primary devices (MacBook, iPhone) which operate on the same local network most of the time. I'm a long time 1PW user and I've been happily synching those two devices over wifi until this upgrade. I've never used the cloud sync features (via DropBox, iCloud, etc) because I'm happy with the tradeoff that by only synching over local wifi the password vault isn't being replicated over the internet with potential compromises (DropBox hack, iCloud hack etc).

The idea of pushing data to a cloud service just to serve synching between my two devices seems to add an un-necessary security risk - as much as I trust the security capabilities of AgileBits, pushing my data to a web service and exposing it via a website doesn't add any functionality for my use-case but adds additional points where it could be comprimised. With that in mind I'd rather avoid it and stick with the current model.

I get that 1password.com synching is going to be of benefit to some (most?) users, but I think having the flexibility to allow only local synching is important.

My vault data is pretty much all standard login credentials (usernames, passwords, encryption keys), and I access them via the app and the browser extension. Perhaps I'm not using some of the features that mandate cloud synching?

• Ben
    Options

The value in the way we've designed the 1Password.com service is that even if someone were to steal all of the data from our service they wouldn't be able to read any of the data any of our customers have stored in 1Password. We feel that is a critically important aspect, and I doubt we would've ever built 1Password.com if that weren't the case. An additional benefit of this "secure by design, not by luck" architecture is that it protects you even from us. Even a rogue employee who has the highest levels of access to the service can't read what you're storing in 1Password. A big part of how we've made that be possible is by always doing all of the encryption on your computer ("end-to-end encryption"). The Secret Key also plays a big role. Even if someone were to steal the encrypted data the Secret Key would be a huge layer of protection:

About your Secret Key

Even with the web app, which looks a lot like a traditional website... your secrets aren't being transmitted over the network. What is actually happening is your browser is downloading an app that runs locally within the browser. The data is only sent back to the service once it has been encrypted in the browser.

There are a number of benefits of membership, even for someone who has incredibly simplistic expectations from 1Password, including:

• Upgrades to the software are included, instead of being separate purchases, meaning you always get the latest versions for all of your compatible devices
    • Automatic off-site backups, so that in the event of a disaster where all of your devices are lost/stolen/destroyed/unavailable to you, your data isn't lost
    • Full item versioning, instead of just simple password history
    • Travel Mode, which can be a helpful tool when crossing borders: https://support.1password.com/travel-mode/
    • The Emergency Kit, which we recommend for legacy/estate planning (in addition to other purposes): https://support.1password.com/emergency-kit/

That's only a few that I thought of off-hand while composing this reply, probably because they are a few of my own personal favorites. In addition: once set up it just works, and works more in the way people expect. I'm not a salesman. I don't get paid a commission. I work in customer service and technical support. I really truly believe 1Password.com is the better solution. The WLAN server is the most technically complex solution we have that is affected by the most outside variables. I'm glad to hear it has been working well for you, but that certainly isn't anywhere near the universal experience with it.

I hope that is helpful.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.