Sign-in page on Chrome on Mac

Options
extramundane
extramundane
Community Member

We require users to sign into Google Chrome, but the login window does not allow pasting, or autofill, and there is no context menu. The password must be typed.

The situation obviously interferes with using 1password for strong and unique passwords. The worst part is that this is the the flow for for on-boarding new users with 1password, like 3.6 Roentgen, "Not terrible, not great."

Even Google's Chrome's own documentation clearly argues that this is an incorrect situation from a security perspective, though they are talking about "web pages," the same must apply to the browser itself.

I was able to locate a forum thread concerning this in Canary from [2014], but no resolution.

Nobody seems to know, if this is oversight, laziness, some technical issue or just mis-guided security theatre, but for whatever reason, it is a thorn that interferes, ultimately it's probably better if I don't know the why, it will just add to the mounting frustration.

Attempts to take this to both Apple (since it is only seen on Mac) and Google have led to nothing. Nothing has been located concerning this in the Chrome public bug database either.

Your attention to this matter, and assistance would be appreciated.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @extramundane

Does 1Password mini show "Go" instead of "Autofill" on the Chrome sign-in page for you? If so I believe that may be a problem on our end. I just tried using our 1Password X extension in Chrome (learn more) and that was able to fill on the sign-in page just fine.

Ben

• Ben
    Options

Hmm. That is different than what I see when signing into Chrome in a fresh profile. Maybe Chrome handles it differently if it is dictated by policy through G Suite, etc?

1Password on Mac can only fill into web pages, so I'm not surprised that we're unable to fill into that box if it isn't part of a web page.

Ben

• Ben
    Options

@extramundane I understand. I would expect that is more on Google's end than Apple's. There are two avenues I would suggest might be appropriate to contact Google about the issue:

1. Using Google's instructions here: https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95315?co=GENIE.Platform=Desktop&hl=en
    2. Through G Suite support, where they may actually provide a response: https://gsuite.google.com/support/

I would suggest doing both. I'll also speak with our development team, but I wouldn't expect our feedback to have any more weight than yours in this regard.

Thanks!

Ben

• Ben
    Options

You're welcome. :) If we can be of further assistance, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.