Simple question: How do I move an item in UnFiled to its proper place in a sidebar tag?

Guffee
Guffee
Community Member

What I wrote above pretty much says it all. I'm a new user of 1PW7 and am very pleased with it. However, I can't figure out how to move an in item up to a sidebar tag. If I drag it, the entry in UnFiled remains, so that I have duplicate items. If I edit the tag-path in the item to match what I desire, nothing happens.

1Password Version: 7.3.2
Extension Version: 7.3.2
OS Version: Mojave 10.14.6
Sync Type: folder on our hard drives
Referrer: forum-search:how to move an item from UnFiled in 1Password 7

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Guffee!

Can you please clarify what "UnFiled" is?

Thank you!

• Guffee
    Guffee
    Community Member

Hi :)
    It's a Smart Folder in the lower-left of the Sidebar. Its purpose is (or, was) to catch all the new login-items created by 1Password. It seemed to have been put there by default in 1PW7. I didn't create it.

I did always have one in 1PW3 (or 1PW4) thru 1PW6. Beginning with 1PW3 or 1PW4, installation of 1Password automatically installed the Smart Folder (actually named "_UnFiled", with an underscore in front). AgileBits discontinued installing it with, I think, 1PW5, and encouraged users to create their own.

As I said, "_Unfiled" appeared when I recently installed PW7. If 1PW7 didn't create it, it must have been imported from my 1PW6 when I transferred all of its data over to 1PW7.

I'm guessing I should not have the "_UnFiled" Smart Folder, and that it won't work in 1PW7 as it has in years past! Am I right?

Otherwise, if it could work as usual, how do I retrieve login-items from it, to place in a sidebar tag (folder)?

That's it, I think. Thank you.

• Hi @Guffee,

Smart Folders are being deprecated. I'd recommend migrating to the use of tags:

Organize with favorites and tags

If you'd like a way to see which items are currently untagged you can try this:

To find all untagged items, open 1Password for Mac and select the magnifying glass in the search field. Select Show Search Options, and then set up the search like this:

I hope that helps. Please let me know.

Ben

• Guffee
    Guffee
    Community Member

That worked out just right, Ben. I put all my category items in Sidebar Tags, except Logins (which were already in Sidebar Tags), and as you'd expect, that left my new--from you--UnFiled folder empty. And new online accounts created manually are recorded by 1PW and captured in my new UnFiled folder. Perfect!

I've got the hang of using Tags quite well now, but they had been pretty confusing and off-putting to me at the start. It must be hard for some of you there to imagine how some things like this can be so unfathomable to someone like me. Well, your help paid off. Thanks, Ben!

• I'm glad to hear it all worked out in the end. :) If we can be of further assistance, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Ben

• Guffee
    Guffee
    Community Member
    edited December 2019

Ben, You showed me how easy it was, above, to set it up so I could could see all untagged items. As a result, I did it easily back in October, and I named it UnFiled (of course!). Now, I need to re-create 'UnFiled' because it has disappeared. I can create it, of course, but I've forgotten the last step: I don't remember how to save it.

• @Guffee

That's the catch, unfortunately. There is no way to save it. The difficulty is that the technology we were using to save "Smart Folders" was proprietary to Apple. As we're moving into a cross-platform world having technologies like that tied to one vendor isn't really feasible. It is certainly possible to build "saved searches" (or whatever else they might be called) without relying on proprietary tech, but that hasn't been a high demand item thus far and as such we haven't been able to devote the development cycles to it.

Ben

• Guffee
    Guffee
    Community Member

I though I had that "UnFiled" whatever around for a few weeks beginning when I first created it, with your help, back in October. But I guess not. Your explanation is interesting. Oh, well, 'them's the breaks.' Thanks again, Ben. ("UnFiled" certainly did come in handy for a very short time when I first started out with 1PW7.)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

On behalf of Ben, you are welcome! If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

This discussion has been closed.