1Password for Firefox was not matching domains correctly, now not at all!

Good evening,

I'm having a problem I seem to recall having before, but now it's happening a lot more consistently... I'm running the latest (non-beta) 1P extension in the latest (non-beta) Firefox on the latest (non-beta) OS. When I activate 1P (whether via keystroke or the icon), it shows logins for Facebook, a tab which I did have open, however it was not the active one. My first step in trying to troubleshoot this was to close my tab for Facebook, which resulted in 1P no longer suggesting Facebook logins, but rather not suggesting any logins at all. Opening Facebook again did *not* revert back to the original symptom. Closing Firefox and re-opening did *not* revert back to the original symptom either (therefore, I cannot get it to again suggest Facebook logins, but I'm leaving that in there in case it sparks an idea). Even on Facebook's tab it is not matching the domain now.

Other notes:

I've ensured both 1P extension and Firefox are both the latest release versions.
I've removed the 1P extension, deleted the .sqlite file, and reinstalled.
I do not have multiple windows open (I saw that this was a previous bug, possibly). I have 7 tabs open; like my children, I'd rather not have to get rid of them, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. Right?
This does *not* occur in Safari.
The data that is shown in 1P is accurate and up-to-date (for instance, if I add a login through the App, it shows properly in the extension).
A moose once bit my sister.

Please let me know how I can help troubleshoot this issue. I'd really rather not have to clear all my tabs (which honestly, would make it harder to figure out where the bug is occurring), but if that's my only option, I can do it.

Thanks!
-Christo

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Welcome to the forums, Christo! Sorry to hear that you're having some trouble. I think I found the main source of the problem, though. The moose is a natural predator to the red panda. :P

In all seriousness, I'd be happy to get to the bottom of this. Now, I don't want to be pedantic but while you said you were running the "latest" versions of everything you didn't give any specific numbers. Just to make sure we're on the same page (and same OS considering sometimes folks post Windows issues in this Mac forum) could you let me know the specific version numbers of (1) 1Password, (2) Firefox, and (3) 1Password Firefox extension you are using?

It sounds like you have gone through most of the troubleshooting steps already, so that should save us some time. What wasn't quite clear to me was if the problem was consistently reproducible or not. It sounds like it is intermittent. Is that true? Or do you have steps that I could take to see the same problem on my own machine?

If/when it happens again could to take a screenshot showing both the address bar and the 1Password extension popup? I want to make sure I am understanding the issue correctly, and I think a screenshot may be the quickest way to get up to speed.

Looking forward to solving this. Thanks!
  • Christo
    Christo
    Community Member
    edited August 2012
    Hi Khad!

Pandas! Didn't even think about that one!! lol

Sorry it took me a bit to get back to you, for some reason I can't see this discussion unless I go to its address... But that's not important right now! :P

1Password - Version 3.8.20 (build 31499)
    Firefox - 15.0
    1P Extension - 3.9.7

EDIT: I have found more helpful details to reproduce (at least on my end)! If I Cmd-Tab to another application and come back to Firefox, 1P suggests logins for whatever tab I was on when switching back to Firefox, even if I then change tabs. So....:

1) Open a bunch of tabs on different domains.
    2) Select one tab to go to (let's say facebook.com)
    3) Switch to another application
    4) Switch to Firefox
    5) Cmd-\ properly suggests Facebook logins.
    6) Switch to another tab (let's say suntrust.com)
    7) Cmd-\ still suggests Facebook logins.
    8) Switch to another application
    9) Switch back to Firefox
    10) Cmd-\ properly suggests Suntrust logins!

Hope this helps!

Screenshot: http://i.imgur.com/TWhix.jpg (Hope there's nothing too personal in there ;) )

-Christo
  • Christo
    Christo
    Community Member
    (If this doesn't do the same for you, we can, of course, start looking at differences between our setups: Add-ons, etc., that may be incompatible)
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Thanks for the screenshot. That shows the problem very clearly indeed. I am not able to reproduce it here, and I believe this is the first report we've had of anything like this.

I'd like to see if the problem persists in a new Firefox profile with only the 1Password extension installed. Please give it a try and let me know:

http://support.agilebits.com/kb/browser-extensions/how-to-create-a-new-firefox-profile
  • Christo
    Christo
    Community Member
    Ok, so since you've not gotten any reports of this happening, and since creating a new profile did clear up the issue, I'm going to do more troubleshooting on my side to see what's causing the issue. I'll let you know what I come up with and hopefully we can find [/fix?] the incompatibility, if possible!
  • Christo
    Christo
    Community Member
    Alright, I've found the culprit! It's an add-on from a relatively large site that does page-selection based searches in the context menu. I'm able to isolate the problem to happening consistently when both their plugin and 1P are enabled and others are disabled in my main profile, AND if I install their plugin in the new profile, the same problem occurs.

It's a semi-NSFW site, but if you'd be interested in looking at why their plugin is conflicting with your own, I will link it.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Great! I'm glad you were able to track it down. :D

I'd love to at least pass the information along to the rest of the team. If you'd prefer not to post it publicly, you can send me the details in a PM.

Thanks,
  • Christo
    Christo
    Community Member
    PM sent. Thank you for the help!

-Christo
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Thanks, Christo! We'll see if there is anything we can do on our end.

Enjoy the rest of your week!
This discussion has been closed.