To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Two user accounts on one Mac. Do we need a single or family membership?

Options
mackim
mackim
Community Member

My wife and I have been using 1Password 6 with one license. We have different user accounts on a single Mac. We each have our own vault but these are shared. It's not clear to me that if I purchase a membership we can continue to use a single one or will we need two singles or a family membership?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:My wife and I have two user accounts on one Mac. Do we need a singe or family membership.

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@mackim: That's a very personal (or, perhaps, marital) decision, but I can offer some guidance that might help.

If you and your wife are okay with sharing everything -- 1Password data, Master Password, etc. -- then you could be satisfied with an individual 1Password membership.

If, however, one or both of you needs/wants to be able to have your own 1Password account with a Private vault and Master Password of your choosing, but still have the option to share other vaults between you, then 1Password Families will likely be better.

The question of user accounts is only peripherally related, but suffice to say it is recommended that you each have your own regardless of which path you take with 1Password, both for security and the convenience of being able to personalize settings, etc.

That should help, but please let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• mackim2
    mackim2
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, very helpful, thank you. At present we have separate vaults but have full access to both. It would not be a hardship to share one vault. Is it possible to merge two vaults?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@mackim2: Glad that helped! Separate vaults are separate and cannot be "merged", but you can easily [move your items}(https://support.1password.com/move-copy-items/) all into a single vault and get rid of the others, if that's preferable. I find it's convenient to split some stuff off into separate vaults though for organization. :)

• mackim2
    mackim2
    Community Member
    Options

I’ll work with that. Many thanks.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Sounds good :+1: :)

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

This discussion has been closed.