Obstacles to Upgrading from Version 6

I am a long-time satisfied user of 1Password version 6. Unlike many people, I am not morally opposed to the subscription model. If Version 7 was just like version 6, except that it was supported for the duration of my subscription with bug fixes, minor improvements and OS upgrades, I would just say "Take My Money!"

When I look at the prospect of upgrading to 7, I'm coming from the perspective that my password manager is critical infrastructure. It has to work, and it has to be secure. It also has to something that my wife can use safely without complaint.

The "free trial" on the web site looks attractive, so I started down that path:

1. I learn that version 7 stores my password vault on your server. This makes me nervous, but maybe.
  2. I am immediately asked to create an account. This is new. I don't like it, but okay.
  3. I am then asked to type my master password into a web form. HELL NO. This is not something I have ever needed to do before. I am sure that your underlying magic Java Script makes sure that it never leaves my browser, blah, blah, blah, but it's also the precedent. If I (and my wife) get trained that it is okay to enter the master password on the web, then we are subject to being phished by a look-alike site.
  4. Well, maybe I should fall back to Plan B, buying a license. The extreme difficulty of finding that option and any information about it makes it seem that non-account holders will be second-class citizens. I don't want to find out I have bought nag-ware.

In many ways, it would be easier and more transparent for me to migrate to one of the many competing password manager products.

Questions
* I understand that the licensed version of 1pw can only be bought via the web site, correct? What's that link again?

• Is a separate license or purchase required for iPhone?

• My version 6 license was a family license for 5 people on as many Macs as needed. Is that type of license still available??

• When Version 7 is installed, does it delete or replace version 6, or can I use the two side-by-side for a while, to make sure all is well?

• Is there anything like a fully-supported subscription model of 1pw, for which I don't have to create an account or use your servers?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.14.6
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member
    edited October 14

Hi @ajmexico

I'd be happy to help address these questions. :+1:

I learn that version 7 stores my password vault on your server. This makes me nervous, but maybe.

I understand the concern, however, even our employees with the highest levels of access never have the ability to read the data you store in 1Password. The data is encrypted on your devices using secrets that only you have/know. Even if someone were to manage to steal all of the information that we have it would not give them access to your data.

I am then asked to type my master password into a web form. HELL NO. This is not something I have ever needed to do before. I am sure that your underlying magic Java Script makes sure that it never leaves my browser, blah, blah, blah, but it's also the precedent. If I (and my wife) get trained that it is okay to enter the master password on the web, then we are subject to being phished by a look-alike site.

Even with the web app, which looks a lot like a traditional website... your secrets aren't being transmitted over the network. What is actually happening is your browser is downloading an app that runs locally within the browser. The data is only sent back to the service once it has been encrypted in the browser.

That said your point is well made. I wish we made this more clear. I'll do some brainstorming with our team to see how we can better differentiate the web app from more traditional websites where the processing is done on the server.

I understand that the licensed version of 1pw can only be bought via the web site, correct? What's that link again?

Licenses can only be purchased within the 1Password 7 apps when downloaded from our website:

1Password Downloads

Is a separate license or purchase required for iPhone?

No; 1Password for iOS can be used as a companion to a licensed copy of one of our desktop apps at no additional cost.

My version 6 license was a family license for 5 people on as many Macs as needed. Is that type of license still available??

No; 1Password licenses are sold on a per-person, per-platform, per-version basis. So a 1Password 7 for Mac license would allow you to use 1Password v7 on any of your Macs. It would not include 1Password for Windows, for example, and would not include usage by anyone other than you. It also would typically not include upgrades to future versions.

When Version 7 is installed, does it delete or replace version 6, or can I use the two side-by-side for a while, to make sure all is well?

The two should not be installed on the same computer. They would almost certainly conflict (esp. w/r/t the browser extensions). When you install 1Password 7 it should create a zip containing your 1Password 6 installation. If you decided to revert to v6 instructions can be found here, but that should be considered a temporary measure.

Is there anything like a fully-supported subscription model of 1pw, for which I don't have to create an account or use your servers?

No. It sounds like most of your concerns are about the security aspect of this arrangement. If you haven't already I'd encourage you to read this guide:

About the 1Password security model

We also have an in-depth technical white paper, if you're interested in the nitty gritty:

1Password Security Design White Paper

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file