Different set of logins used by Extension in IE and Firefox

This one seems weird to me. Windows 7, IE 9.0, Firefox 14. I mainly use Firefox and the 1Password extension works beautifully (aside from little hiccough fixed thanks to this forum). But occasionally I need to use IE, and the extension for that is installed. Today when I clicked on the extension button, expecting it to fill the login/password for a Hotmail account (or at least offer me the various hotmail logins stored), I was surprised to get the screen which offered me the chance to Fill Login by searching. To my surprise, the login wasn't in the list, even though it is - I started 1Password directly to retrieve the password. It appears that the set of logins that the IE Extension uses is not the same as the one Firefox uses (which appears to be correct and complete).

I know there are sometimes sync problems with Iphone and Ipad, but both IE and Firefox are running on the same PC. How can I force IE to use the full 1Password set?

thanks

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    I've seen this before when the URL (location) stored in the Login item is not a valid one. In the case I saw before, the URL was lacking the protocol (http:// or https://). Thus the URL was not matched in the IE extension.

Can you tell me if the URL stored in your Hotmail Login item contains the protocol (https://)?
  • JRS-WB
    JRS-WB
    Community Member
    Interesting and thanks for replying. There is no URL stored, I must have added this one manually. But the issue is that the login list offered by 1Password to "fill in" is not the same as the full list. Are you suggesting it only offers logins with the protocol?

PS - the functionality to "follow" threads on this forum doesn't seem to be working, I didn't get an email telling me you had responded.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    I may have been imagining the "missing protocol issue", but if there is no URL stored at all then it most definitely will not be offered as a Login available for that site since it can't match a "null" URL with the current one. This is part of 1Password's anti-phishing measure. Logins will only be offered and filled on the domain for which they are intended.

We recommend always saving Login items via the browser extension so it can "learn" the form fields as well as record the proper URL. Please let me know if you are having trouble when saving a Login via the browser extension.

PS - the functionality to "follow" threads on this forum doesn't seem to be working, I didn't get an email telling me you had responded.

Thank you for mentioning this. We are working to resolve it. I'm sorry for the inconvenience.
  • JRS-WB
    JRS-WB
    Community Member
    Apologies, I don't think I explained this very well. There is a difference between the handling of the extensions in IE and Firefox in that the list of possible logins to use is not the same.

I have what must have been a manually entered login for a hotmail account, there is no URL associated with it. If IE is the browser, clicking on the 1Password icon shows me a popup with a few buttons, the first says No Logins Saved for this Site, the second says Go and Fill Login, is shadowed to indicate it is the expected choice. When I click on it, I see a list of logins from 1Password. The hotmail one is NOT shown, indeed many logins are not shown.

If Firefox is the browser, clicking on the 1Password icon shows me the usual popup, stating No Logins Saved for this Site, and giving me access to the login list. This list DOES include the hotmail one.

The difference in the login lists is the issue I was raising.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2012
    If there is no URL saved in the item Go & Fill will not work since there is nowhere to "GO" to. When you click a Login in the Go & Fill section 1Password opens the URL in the Login item and fills your credentials. If there is no URL stored in the item what URL would 1Password open? Therefore items without a valid URL will not be listed in the Go & Fill section.

Such a check is not performed in the Firefox (or Safari or Chrome) extensions since you can also view the item details right in the extension in those browsers. So even though an item with no URL stored would not be useful for Go & Fill it is still available to copy and of its fields in the details view or edit directly in the browser. (Click the circled ">" to the right of the Login title to view the details, copy a password or other field, or edit the item.)

Since it's not possible to do all that in the Internet Explorer extension, without a URL, the only function available there (Go & Fill) would not work without a URL so the item is not listed.

Again, please save Logins via the extension so they contain a valid URL and you will not have this issue. :)
  • JRS-WB
    JRS-WB
    Community Member
    Thanks. I think what you are saying is that the extension works differently in IE and Firefox. As a user, that was un-expected, but if it is a feature, not a bug (grin) okay.

The reason this login was manually created is that 1Password extension does NOT popup to save the login details on hotmail.co.uk. But I have now cut-n-pasted the URL into the manually created login, and the extension now offers me the right details.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    I'm not saying it's ideal, but, yes, the extension is completely different in Internet Explorer in more than just looks. The 1Password extension is the same in Chrome, Firefox, and Safari on both Mac and Windows, but Internet Explorer requires us to do things differently.

If a site ever blocks autosave, you can easily save a Login via the extension manually as described in the User Guide:

http://help.agilebits.com/1Password_Windows/saving-a-Login-item.html

Please let me know if there is anything else I can help with. :)

Cheers!
  • JRS-WB
    JRS-WB
    Community Member
    That User Guide link is REALLY helpful, thanks!
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Wonderful! I'm glad it did. Enjoy your weekend. :D
This discussion has been closed.