Generate password on Mac behaves differently than 1Password X

I have been a long-time 1Password user and have been using it on Firefox all these years. On Firefox, I used 1Password X.

I recently switched to Safari on this Mac, and naturally 1Password X is not available for Safari. I have to use the 1Password Mac app and the 1Password Safari extension (which is a companion app to the 1Password Mac app)

The problem:

• When resetting password for a certain website, say my Google account, I bring up the password generator box using the Cmd+\ hotkey.
  • There is a generate password and save option
  • When I click on it, I expect the password to be automatically filled in the two new password fields (on that website, Google) and then prompt me to save that new password to my vault, as a new entry or update an existing entry.
  • But, it turns out 1Password Mac app immediately saves that password as a new entry, and when I click on "Enter" key on that website where I am resetting my password (Google), another prompt appears, asking if I would like to save that new password as a new entry or update an existing entry

Why does the 1Password Mac app immediately save that generated password as a entry, as opposed to how 1Password X works - autofill and then ask the user to save that new password to a new entry or an existing entry.

I am happy to clarify if something is not clear. Thanks!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2019

Hey @arunsathiya ,

The Mac app has a failsafe in which it creates a "password" item type when you generate a password so you won't accidentally lose it by not saving it in your login item. Sometimes on certain websites the prompt to update the existing login doesn't always fire due to how the website's form is built, so we made sure users do not lose their new password by automatically creating a new password item for that newly generated password.

On 1Password X it is a lot less common since it has an enhanced autofilling logic, and I agree it does work smoother and better there. You'll be happy to learn that we're currently working on making 1Password identical on all browsers and platforms, and are trying to bring the 1Password X experience to Safari as well. However, it might take some time so in the meanwhile, here's how to properly change a password in an existing login if you are on the regular companion extension with 1Password for Mac: https://support.1password.com/change-website-password/

I hope that clarifies it :)

• arunsathiya
    arunsathiya
    Community Member

Thanks so much! It's great to know that you're working on making the Safari version behave similar to 1Password X. 👏

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

We're all very excited about it, @arunsathiya !
    Hopefully it will happen sooner rather than lated :)

This discussion has been closed.