Catalina 2FA fails to detect QR code

divot
divot
Community Member

Looking for help with 2FA issues. No problem setting 2FA running Mojave (macOS 10.14.6) where 1Password Code Scanner immediately detects the QR code, blue corners immediately turns green. However on a clean install of Catalina the 1P Code Scanner fails to detects QR code and corners remain blue (both Safari and Firefox). Any suggestions what might be preventing detection?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:catalina 2fa

Comments

• Ben
    Ben
    edited October 2019

Hi @divot

Catalina has new permission settings for apps, including a new requirement that apps that are able to "read" your screen ask for "screen recording" permission. Without this, 1Password cannot see what is on your screen. Did you perhaps hit deny when asked if 1Password could record your screen?

In System Preferences under Security & Privacy > Screen Recording please make sure 1Password is checked.

Ben

ref: dev/apple/issues#4304

• divot
    divot
    Community Member

Ben, thanks for the tip. I knew it had to be in there somewhere but didn't scroll down far enough to enable screen recording setting.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@divot, on behalf of Ben, you are very welcome!

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

• corymcdonald
    corymcdonald
    Community Member

Hello @ag_ana ! I had this same problem today and was so confused, is there any way that the team can check the privacy and show a notification that the appropriate permissions aren't enabled?

• I don't know that we have that ability, but we are looking into how we can make the situation more clear. Thanks for the feedback, @corymcdonald.

Ben

• nishwanth
    nishwanth
    Community Member

Guys.. i tried the option suggested but it won't work.. any other ideas?

• @nishwanth

Where did you install the application from the Mac App Store or directly from our site? There have been some changes in how the Mac App Store version works.

• nishwanth
    nishwanth
    Community Member

it was from Mac App Store @ag_tommy

• ag_tommy
    edited March 2020

@nishwanth

Ah, thank you for confirming my suspicion.

We are not able to make use of the previous API's we were using to get the contents of the screen under the QR code scanning window on the Mac App Store build. The possible options are:

• paste the QR code image into the scanner window
    • drag the QR code image into the scanner window
    • click on the camera button in the bottom right of the window and choose Open File to pick an image of the QR code
    • make use of Camera Continuity via the camera button in the bottom right of the window to take a picture with your iPhone/iPad
    • make use of the iSight/FaceTime camera on your MacBook/Air/Pro to take a picture of the QR code on another screen/device/print out

You can also alternatively switch to using the WebStore build which does not have the same access limitation.

• nishwanth
    nishwanth
    Community Member

Got it thanks. is this going to be an issue even if i clean install 1Password once again but directly from Mac App Store?

also, is this due to a limitation set by Catalina on the API certifications?

• A clean install from the App Store would have the same limitation, yes. Only the download directly from our site can use the Screen Recording permission to read QR codes.

Ben

• akaman
    akaman
    Community Member

Just facing this today after upgrading to a new machine. I chose the App Store build since it was easier to install. I know it isn't Agile's fault, but this sucks. I support a team of users and this is going to make support huge PIA. If Apple allows it to be fixed, please make this a high priority issue. Thanks in advance.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@akaman:

Thank you for the feedback! Absolutely, if Apple reverts to the previous behavior, we can certainly update this. Unfortunately at the moment it doesn't look like things will change in the foreseeable future, so if this is important for you, you might want to consider using the 1Password version downloaded from our website instead.

This discussion has been closed.