How to manage autofill between family members

Options
onodera3
onodera3
Community Member

On our family account we have several different vaults. For example, each person has a private vault and a "shared" vault. We also have single shared vaults around specific themes, like a "financial" vault.

So the challenge I have now is that we each may have an account for the same website but we only want "our" login autofilled. Otherwise we have to manually select the one we want each time. I am aware that I can specify which vaults belong to the "all vaults" which is helpful somewhat, but it doesn't work well when there's a single vault that's shared. For shared vaults, I wish there was some way to say which logins are "mine" and to autofill those.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• williakz
    williakz
    Community Member
    Options

Why share same-site/different user logins at all? Seems like exactly what private vaults are designed for. The only login info that fits nicely into the shared vault template seems to be a single user account (say an online newspaper or media streaming account ) that is shared between different family members each using the same site, username, password, etc.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @mysticflute!

I believe williakz is making a good point. Can you please elaborate a little bit on why you are trying to do things this way? It might help us suggest something that could work for you. For example, you wrote:

So the challenge I have now is that we each may have an account for the same website but we only want "our" login autofilled.

Can you please let us know why you have individual account for these websites at all, if all you ever need to use is the shared login?

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

I've brought up the same issue in other posts.

I don't mind so much that I have to select from which items I have to allow to auto-fill. But I do mind that my items are always sorted beneath hers (due to simple Title sorting).

We have many individual accounts that we must share. I tend to manage the financial / bookkeeping matters in our household, but my wife still needs access to certain accounts. Many of these accounts are his/hers type accounts. Her name in the same-named title always sorts her items above mine. This makes for a less-than-ideal experience.

There really needs to be a simple way to sort her items below mine on my system, and her items above mine on her system. Sure, we could create two more vaults (her to me, me to her), and I could not show her items under (and she mine), but this creates a bit of a management nightmare.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you for the feedback! :+1:

• prime
    prime
    Community Member
    Options

@MrC

My mom has this issue. She does all for both my dad and her, so my dads stuff is also on 1Password. I just renamed the login so my moms will always show up 1st

• onodera3
    onodera3
    Community Member
    Options

Can you please let us know why you have individual account for these websites at all, if all you ever need to use is the shared login?

Sure. So the main example is with financial accounts. So we have a single vault where we store financial information, and this is shared between me and my wife. Generally I handle the finances in our family so I'm often doing miscellaneous accounting tasks.

Our banking is one example. With our bank we have some joint accounts, some individual accounts and some business accounts. Every now and then I may need to login to her account to move money around in a certain way. Similarly with credit cards at the same bank, I may need to use one of her cards because it has better rewards for a particular thing, and then I login to her account to pay it off.

Another example that's slightly different is that she has a particular brand credit card that is shared with me. I need that login sometimes, but only rarely, when I need to do some accounting. I don't have my own login for that same card, we shared the account. However I do have a separate login for a company card that happens to be at the same website url. This login is in my private vault, so she doesn't have the autofill problem, but I do because her account is shared with me. What I mean to say is, I login to that website for my company card 90% of the time, and I'd really like not to choose the option each time, but I do still need access to the other login. This is a case where private vaults, as williakz mentions, won't help. That is, when there is one shared login for the family and another non-family login for the same website that I have in my private vault.

Here are some non financial examples...

We both individually have accounts with Hilton and Marriott hotel chains. For reasons related our jobs, I have a lot more points with Marriott and she has a lot more with Hilton. Generally when we travel together we book stays at Hiltons using her account and stays at Marriotts using mine. However sometimes I may travel apart from her and end up at a Hilton, and vice versa for her, so we each have individual accounts at both chains to capture those points. Sometimes, but not often, I'm booking our travel together and I need to login to her account, and vice versa. But 90% most of the time when I'm logging into Marriott I want my account automatically and when she's logging into Hilton she want's her account 90% of the time.

I really like MrC's ideas about sorting the autofill option, and then for my own problem it could be taken one step further where there's a keyboard shortcut to autofill the first option, and otherwise the menu could be shown.

• onodera3
    onodera3
    Community Member
    Options

I tend to manage the financial / bookkeeping matters in our household, but my wife still needs access to certain accounts.

Ah, this seems like a pretty common scenario, hehe :) . I can imagine that one compelling reason to buy a service like 1Password is that for us family accountants things are hard enough as it is... 1Password is appealing as a promising way to make things faster and smoother.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you both for the feedback!

This discussion has been closed.