Separate fields for surname and name get filled with both (German)

1Password doesn't seem to recognize the German "Vorname" (surname) and "Nachname"/"Name". On every occasion I see it do one of two things: Filling both my surname and name in the 'name' field or filling both in both fields. I'm using Chrome 78 (stable). Can you teach 1pw German? ;)

1Password Version: 7.3.712
Extension Version: 1.16.2
OS Version: Windows 10 1903
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:surname

Comments

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @dulfrg ,

I see you have opened two different discussions on very similar issues. I have deleted the other one about the address field and will answer it here. Here is the content of your other discussion message:

When I let 1password fill a form with my address data, it fills "Streetname 123" in the field for 'street' and leaves the field for 'house number' empty. Maybe this is another German/European problem as the US websites I use tend to have one field for both. This issue has been posted on this forum before, but it's been four years since then and I wanted to ask whether it has been adressed. Thank you in advance <3

We are aware of these issues and are currently working on fixing them. Can you please send me a link to such a form in German so I can test a few things and also add it to the dev's log?

• dulfrg
    dulfrg
    Community Member

Hey Yaron,

thanks a lot for seeing to it. It seems like these really are the same type of problem, so thanks again for merging them.
    I have found this form which asks for the 'Vorname' (surname) and 'Name' in seperate fields as well as for 'Straße' and 'Hausnummer'. There is also an english version of the form with the same fields.
    I'm looking forward to your insights! :)

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @dulfrg ,
    Thanks for the link! Here's what happened when I tried it: https://recordit.co/pW0yzypkXf

So the name and surname did autofill separately. I'm not sure if it is because I set up my identity item in 1Password differently than you did, or if it is because i'm running the latest beta which might behave a bit differently. Let's test the first option, shall we?
    Try creating a new test identity and only fill in the first and last name fields, then try to autofill with it and see if it behaves like in my video.

Regarding the street address - It indeed autofilled the street name and number in the same field. I have forwarded all this info to the devs, but in the meantime lets see what we can do about the first and last name fields :)

• dulfrg
    dulfrg
    Community Member

Hey Yaron,

it did the same for me – surname and name were filled correctly, street and number in the same box. I'll keep my eyes open for forms where filling the name doesn't work correctly, maybe there's a snag yet to be discovered.

Thank you for your support and I'm looking forward to hearing from you again!

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for confirming @dulfrg !
    We're always working on bettering and improving 1Password's autofilling logic. It is a never ending battle as you can probably imagine since every website is different and every website designer/programmer has different names and variables in his code. Hopefully one of the next newer versions updates will contain significant improvements to that :)

• dulfrg
    dulfrg
    Community Member

Hey @Yaron,

I found a form where my surname and name fill in both fields (also the address & house number appear in the same field), here it is. I hope it helps fixing this issue.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Thank you, @dulfrg .
    Hopefully it will help :)

• jd_lewin
    jd_lewin
    1Password Alumni

I work alongside Yaron and wanted to step in to help while they're away.

I've just had a go testing the two sites you sent along against our latest version of 1Password X and am happy to report that we're filling far more effectively in both cases:

• The Vodafone site now fills all but the birthdate field properly.

• The Samsung site now fills both name fields properly; the Straße and number fields we're still working on ;-)

Do let us know if you've come across any other sites where you're encountering similar filling issues. The best way we know how to improve 1Password's filling and saving brain is to feed it the sites where we aren't already handling things as expected.

Mind your health and have a great week :-)

This discussion has been closed.