Win10 Chrome: "Unknown is connected but its code signature could not be verified"

I recently got a new laptop here at work, and transferred my 1Password license over to it. No matter what I try I keep getting this error in Chrome:

I've tried all the suggested troubleshooting steps and nothing has helped.

1Password desktop is working fine on its own.

1Password Version: 4.6.2.626
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• This is expected behavior with 1Password 4 in chrome, @neilweinstock. Google changed Chrome's code signature a while back so 1Password 4 no longer recognizes it. Since 1Password 4 is no longer under active development, your best bet if you'd like to continue using 1Password 4 would be to switch to a different supported browser, such as Firefox. You can find more detail about 1Password 4 and Chrome, as well as general info about continued support for 1Password 4 in this forum announcement. :+1:

• neilweinstock
    neilweinstock
    Community Member

Thanks. I guess it's time to upgrade.

• It's no trouble at all, @neilweinstock. I know buying upgrades always stinks, at least to some degree, but I hope 1Password 7 is plenty awesome enough to make up for it. We worked hard on it and have big plans for its future I really look forward to sharing with y'all. If there's anything at all I can do to help with the transition, of course, you know just where to find me. :chuffed:

• BGKer55
    BGKer55
    Community Member

I'm having the same problem. You suggest to Neil to update to 1Password 7 from 1Password 4. I've tried but it won't let me. It says I already have the latest version but it is vers. 4.

• 1Password 4 won't directly update to 1Password 7, @BGKer55. Since 1Password 7 is a paid upgrade, we didn't want folks using 1Password 4 to wake up one day and be asked to buy a new license if that wasn't what they wanted. You can find instructions to upgrade to 1Password 7 here:

https://support.1password.com/upgrade-windows/

Thanks for pointing out that omission as well. We should probably include this in the forum announcement so those of y'all who decide you'd like to upgrade know where to find that guide. :chuffed:

• arkilario
    arkilario
    Community Member

Same problem for me. Because of some issues between Mac and Win versions, some time ago I've updated to 1Password 6.3.5 but finally I found out it wasn't just a newer and better version, but a different service linked to an online account I should have paid for. So, after paying for the new version, I had switched back to version 4 (and I hadn't had my problem solved). And now I'm forced to go to 1Password 7 just because you won't update the Chrome signature anymore: I understand you are not interested in supporting the older version but it sounds me more like "worse for you, just pay the new service".
    If you are not able to solve it (or if you don't want to) I'll necessarly choose some other solution from one of your competitors.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@arkilario:

1Password 6.3.5 (I assume you are referring to 1Password for Mac, since version 6.3.5 did not exist for Windows) is almost 4 years old now, and the latest version of 1Password 4 is almost 6 years old. All our development effort is going and will go towards 1Password 7, and we will not upgrade such old version of 1Password anymore. If you keep upgrading everything else on your device, including your browser, you should keep updating 1Password too.

But even if you don't want to upgrade to 1Password 7, if you purchased a license for 1Password 4 for Mac, we offered you free upgrades to version 5 first, and to version 6 afterwards. I think what you are referring to in your post is the optional 1Password Membership, which is paid with a subscription. If you only want to use the 1Password app without a subscription, you can do that in 1Password 6 too, and I strongly recommend upgrading to 1Password 6.8.9 since it would be a free upgrade for you.

1Password 7 is however a paid upgrade on both Windows and Mac. I am sorry that you feel that it's not worth upgrading to the latest version of 1Password, but I hope that 1Password helped you these years and offered you good value for your purchase. We would be sad to see you go, but we understand if you prefer not to upgrade, as that is certainly your prerogative. No matter what you end up choosing, please stay safe online!

• arkilario
    arkilario
    Community Member

Sorry but it isn't still clear to me, I try to resume: I purchased a 1Pass-4 license on Windows and a 1Pass-6 for Mac. Actually I'm working on Win, so, what should I do now? Is 1Pass-7 available as a standalone application or do I have to switch to the online memebership? If I try the "check for updates" button it tells me I already have the latest version. As I can see in your web page under the Pricing page,there is only the Subscription option.
    In this case I'm not interested anymore, I won't pay that amount for just few features I need. I'm not asking to keep working on an older version but to fix, if it's possible, the code signature issue.
    Thanks, sorry for being so annoying ; )

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@arkilario:

Actually I'm working on Win, so, what should I do now?

If you encountered the issue discussed in this thread, you should upgrade to 1Password 7 for Windows.

Is 1Pass-7 available as a standalone application or do I have to switch to the online memebership?

Yes, 1Password 7 is available as a standalone application too if you prefer that.

If I try the "check for updates" button it tells me I already have the latest version.

My colleague bundtkate explained this in her post above already, and I don't think I could have done a better job. You can find her comment about this here.

As I can see in your web page under the Pricing page,there is only the Subscription option.

You can purchase a license for 1Password 7 directly inside the app, after you download 1Password 7 and install it from our website. We are not marketing standalone licenses anymore, so this is not something that you will find on the website, but you can do it in app itself.

This discussion has been closed.