To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Two different Master Passwords on two machines

cheese7007a
cheese7007a
Community Member

I upgraded from 1Password 6 to a Family Subscription on 1Password7. I think I made a mistake when adding the new account to 1Password on my Mac desktop. I forgot to change the Master Password in 1Password 6 before I did the add new account. Now 1Password on the desktop still has the old Master Password where all my other devices have the new one. If I try to change the Master Password in the Preferences window it asks for the old password. If I put in the one for that machine, it says the old password does not match.

How can I get the Master Password on this machine to be the same as all my others?

Thanks.

1Password Version: 1Password 7.3.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OSX 10.14
Sync Type: 1Password

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @cheese7007a! Welcome to the forum!

Do you perhaps still have your old Primary vault inside the 1Password app on this Mac?

• cheese7007a
    cheese7007a
    Community Member

Yes. I do see it there.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@cheese7007a:

Thank you for the confirmation. That's why you are being prompted to use the old Master Password on your Mac. If all your data has been migrated to your 1Password account already, you should remove this old vault from the app. If you look at the 1Password app on your other devices, you will probably see that they don't have this old Primary vault.

The way 1Password unlocks is:

• If a Primary vault exists then unlock using the Master Password for that vault, regardless of what, if any, memberships are signed in
    • If a single 1Password membership is signed in then unlock using the Master Password for that membership account
    • If multiple memberships are signed in then unlock using the Master Password of the first added membership
    • These are each exclusive scenarios. For example, if multiple memberships are signed in, you cannot unlock 1Password using the Master Password of the second account that was added.
  • cheese7007a
    cheese7007a
    Community Member

Thanks. I appreciate the help and clarification on how the unlocking works.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

You are welcome! If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

This discussion has been closed.