I cannot open 1password app on my mac with with the master password. OS Catalina

Options
jersey
jersey
Community Member
edited October 2019 in Mac

I've used usualy a special password for the app on my Mac and it worked. After installing Catalina I can open the app either with that password nor with the master password. On my mobile devices do apps work but I use there the fingerprint.

1Password Version: 1Password7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Catalina
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:i can't open 1password app

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jersey! Welcome to the forum!

I am sorry to hear about this. For your privacy and security, your Master Password is not stored anywhere, only you know it. This means that it is not possible to recover it unless you are a member of a Families or Business accounts. If you have an Individual account or a standalone license, I recommend reading this article to try and recover your Master Password.

If, on the other hand, you are part of a Families or Business account, you can ask another Admin to recover your account for you.

• jersey
    jersey
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for your comment. I know my master password and can even login with it in 1Password.com. So I don’t need to recover it. The problem is that I cannot open 1Password app on my Mac with it.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jersey:

Thank you for the confirmation. This means that you are using a different Master Password to unlock the 1Password app from the one you use to login on 1Password.com. The way 1Password unlocks is:

• If a Primary vault exists then unlock using the Master Password for that vault, regardless of what, if any, memberships are signed in
    • If a single 1Password membership is signed in then unlock using the Master Password for that membership account
    • If multiple memberships are signed in then unlock using the Master Password of the first added membership

These are each exclusive scenarios. For example, if multiple memberships are signed in, you cannot unlock 1Password using the Master Password of the second account that was added.

So in your case, it looks like you forgot the Master Password for your Primary vault. Is this correct?

• gfried
    gfried
    Community Member
    Options

I'm also having this issue, but don't quite understand the answer. I'll state my issue, hoping not to complicate things:

• I have a 1password.com account, and know the password
    • There is one vault attached to that account: "Personal"
    • on my mac laptop, I run 1Password7
    • From the app I have access both to the Personal vault and to a Primary vault (listed as "on my mac"
    • The password to get into the app is different from the password to access my account
  • ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@gfried:

The password to get into the app is different from the password to access my account

Indeed, that's because you have both the Primary vault and your 1Password account in the app. From my previous post:

If a Primary vault exists then unlock using the Master Password for that vault, regardless of what, if any, memberships are signed in

• gfried
    gfried
    Community Member
    Options

Got it. So to be crystal clear, if the only vault I had on the app was the account vault - stored on 1password.com - then i'd sign into the app using that password, right?

Thanks so much for you help.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

That's correct @gfried :)

This discussion has been closed.