To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Account Migration from Dropbox

Options
brebre
brebre
Community Member

Hello! I am a Dropbox sync user with several vaults, and I wanted to test out an account. I signed up for a new account and, when prompted, chose the option to migrate my vaults.

(A) I noticed on my other devices that the message below appears:

Migrate to your 1Password Account?
Your local vault was moved to your 1Password account on another device. Sign In to migrate this Mac to your Account.

How does 1Password trigger this prompt? Presumably it's changing the data in the Dropbox vault, but I can't figure out what's happening behind the scenes that causes the client to display this message.

(B) I noticed that it added a 1Password Account Migration entry to each Dropbox vault:

What does this entry do? (It doesn't seem to contain much useful information.)

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @brebre ,

The item you posted to B is the answer to your question in A (How does 1Password trigger this prompt). When you migrate to an account on device 1, your data is copied into your new account vaults. 1Password then creates that item your found (B). This item syncs to dropbox.

When device 2 syncs to Dropbox, it pulls down that item. That item contains information to say that your data has been migrated to a new account. This information is not visible but is there. The reason for creating and syncing this item is so device 2 doesn't copy your data into your account again (since device 1 already did) and then you'll end up with duplicate items in your account.

So basically, when you click Sign In as shown above, that device will connect to your account, pull down your new account vaults, with the data already migrated there; and then remove the older vaults. The Dropbox sync file is not removed, it is still on your Dropbox account, but is no longer being used to sync.

I hope that clears things up. Please reply if you have further questions.

Cheers,
    Kevin

This discussion has been closed.