I have 1Password Mac desktop. Do I need to install 1Password X extensions in Chrome, Firefox, Safari

jbu2
jbu2
Community Member

I already have Mac desktop Version 7.3.2 (70302004). Do I need to separately install extensions in all of my browsers? Having done so, some of the browsers now appear to have extensions for both the destktop version and 1Password X. What's with that?

1Password Version: 7.3.2
Extension Version: 1.16.2
OS Version: OS X 10.15
Sync Type: icloud
Referrer: forum-search:I have 1Password Mac desktop. Do I need to install 1Password X extensions in Chrome, Firefox, Safari

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @jbu2! Welcome to the forum!

Yes, you need to install the browser extension in every browser where you want 1Password to fill. However, you don't need to install both the companion extension and 1Password X in every browser: you can choose the extension that you prefer and only install that one, so you only have one extension in every browser :)

• jbu2
    jbu2
    Community Member

So I have two extensions in Chrome, one for 1Password and one for 1Password X. And that's how 1Password thinks it should be. Something has to be wrong with that picture.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@jbu2:

Yes, I see that you installed both extensions. As I mentioned in my previous post, you don't need both. You can choose the one that you prefer and remove the other one.

You can install both if you want (and 1Password will let you do it), but from what you wrote it doesn't look like this is what you want.

• jbu2
    jbu2
    Community Member

1PW doesn’t really give any information about the differences between the two programs. I’m happy to pick one, but prefer to make an educated choice, rather than a coin toss. Why would 1PW want to leave customers confused about the issue?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@jbu2:

1PW doesn’t really give any information about the differences between the two programs. I’m happy to pick one, but prefer to make an educated choice, rather than a coin toss.

It sounds like you have installed both, but you haven't tried using both. If you click on them in your browser, you will see how they differ in your daily usage.

A quick summary is this: the 1Password extension (desktop app required) requires 1Password for Mac to be installed on your machine. 1Password X, on the other hand, can work without the 1Password desktop app, and it's our newer extension.

You can read more about 1Password X here before you choose which extension you prefer.

• jbu2
    jbu2
    Community Member
    edited October 2019

Thank you

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

You are welcome! If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

This discussion has been closed.