1password ver 6 - any security concerns not upgrading?

Options
officelurker
officelurker
Community Member

Is it safe to continue using 1password ver 6 on the Mac? If I don't upgrade to ver 7, other than new UI and Safari compatibility, am I losing out on anything else?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @officelurker!

1Password is security software, so it is always recommended to keep it up-to-date. 1Password 6 has not received updates in a while now, and all development has moved to 1Password 7, so we recommend updating as soon as you can.

We added a lot of new features, improvements and bug fixes in version 7. You can read the whole list from the beginning here, and if you scroll up you can see all the improvements in the latest upgrades as well :)

• dillera
    dillera
    Community Member
    Options

Can i get a one-time upgrade to v7 or do i have to pay via subscription?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@dillera:

You can certainly purchase a license if you prefer. We recommend using a 1Password Membership because of the ease of use and the additional features, but if you prefer a standalone license, we still have those available.

• dillera
    dillera
    Community Member
    Options

Do you have any user-friendly links to get to a page to purchase a one-time license? Your site is pretty aggressive in pushing me to the subscription purchase, with all these TRY NOW buttons- I don't see a way to get to a "Buy my one time upgrade to v7 from v6." I'm frankly not interested in a membership with you guys, I'm very happy just buying your one-time licenses until you no longer offer them.

Thanks for your help!

• Ben
    Options

@dillera

We're no longer advertising licenses. Licenses are available within the 1Password 7 app, when downloaded from our website. 1Password 7 for Mac from the Mac App Store is subscription-only. They are available for customers who are already familiar with the licensing situation and are comfortable with the "DIY" approach they offer. I'd highly recommend taking a look at 1Password membership, which will give you access to the latest versions of 1Password for all of your compatible devices (no more separate upgrade fees). You can read about the benefits here:

About 1Password membership

If you'd prefer a license you can select the "need a license? We have those too" option from the welcome screen. A 1Password 7 for Mac license, which allows one person to use 1Password 7 on all of their compatible Macs, is normally $65 USD + tax. They are currently (as of writing) on sale for a limited time for $50 USD + tax. That promotion may end at any time now. It was originally planned to run for a couple of weeks, and has now extended for quite some time, so I wouldn't be surprised if it ends at any point in the near future.

Ben

• dillera
    dillera
    Community Member
    edited October 2019
    Options

As you can see from my user- I'm quite comfortable with DIY (having used 1Password for the past 10 years) and really I trust myself more with my passwords, but thanks for the offer.

• Ben
    Options

:+1: :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.