"auto-fill" suggestion mini-dialog in field pop-up **too** aggressively

I think this is an issue specifically with 1PX beta, but I could be wrong about where the issue lies. Regardless, I feel as if the mini-dialog that comes up in/under a username/password field in a browser window is overly aggressive. That is, when I'm happily typing away, about to paste something into a field (e.g. password), the mini-dialog pops up and not only grabs my attention, but covers other information.

Note that when I'm doing this, I'm often testing features of our web-app or doing other similar stuff, so I'm typically using the keyboard and tabbing between fields on the webpage. In that environment, when using the keyboard and TAB key, I find the mini-dialog distracting and sometimes it covers useful information.

Conversely, when I click with the mouse into a field, I would expect the mini-dialog to come up.

At least that's my perspective. I'm sure there are any number of opinions out there. Perhaps if it's unresolvable in the general case, an additional "UI interaction" option to only present the dialog when clicking on the 1P icon added to fields?

1Password Version: 7.4.BETA-0
Extension Version: 1.17.2
OS Version: OSX 10.14.6
Sync Type: n/a

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@esquared: That does sound strange and annoying. Can you clarify this though?

when I'm happily typing away, about to paste something into a field (e.g. password), the mini-dialog pops up and not only grabs my attention, but covers other information.

Do you mean any time you try to type or paste into a webpage, 1Password comes up? Also, which part of 1Password is opening exactly? You seem to have 1Password for Mac there, which of course is composed of both the main 1Password app window and 1Password mini. But then you've also got 1Password X installed. Which are you seeing? Are you using desktop app integration with that?

Conversely, when I click with the mouse into a field, I would expect the mini-dialog to come up. At least that's my perspective. I'm sure there are any number of opinions out there. Perhaps if it's unresolvable in the general case, an additional "UI interaction" option to only present the dialog when clicking on the 1P icon added to fields?

Yeah that's really gonna be a tough sell for most people -- especially since the reason you're contacting us now is 1Password coming up when you don't want it. I can definitely see both perspectives though. :lol: Unless you've disabled it, you should get the 1Password X inline icon/menu when selecting username or password fields. But let me know more if you're -- paradoxically -- having trouble with that too. :)

• esquared
    esquared
    Community Member

Sorry - I missed your message until now.

I'm not 100% sure which component is bringing up what I see, but I'm gonna guess it's 1PasswordX-Beta.

As an example, using NextCloud (one place where I find it most annoying), if I'm trying to edit a share (link) for example, I get this immediately after clicking on the "more ...".

Notice that the "suggested" password is covering the item below, which it obviously has to, but I would argue it shouldn't pop up at all until I click on the "lock" icon. In this case, there is already a value in the field (I've already provided a link share password, in this example) and I actually want to edit the value immediately underneath the suggestion dialog. that requires me to click outside of the "suggestion dialog", but not too far out as then NextCloud will happily close the "edit share link dialog".

I'm pretty sure I never saw this under older versions of 1Password where it would wait until I pressed the hot-key seqence or otherwise invoked 1Password features. I'm not sure what the right answer is. Happy to discuss options.

I'm currently running:
    - 1Password 7 - Version 7.4.2.BETA-0 (70402000) - 1Password Beta
    - 1Password X Beta 1.17.4
    - Google Chrome - Version 78.0.3904.97 (Official Build) (64-bit)
    - Mac OSX 10.14.6

• Hey @esquared - Thank you so much for elaborating and for the very helpful screen shot. I'm really sorry about the obstruction 1Password X has been to your workflow on NextCloud - that seems like it's probably pretty frustrating. I'm happy to file an issue to get this on the developers' radar. If it's not too much trouble, would you be willing to send over some more information to help me expound on it? Any extra information you've got would be helpful; the exact URL for the page you were on, or even the page's html from "inspect" mode if you're up for it.

In the meantime, let's discuss those workaround options - there are a few.

1. The inline menu components should disappear when you scroll, even just a little bit. So if you'd like to hide those components temporarily, one option would be to scroll up or down just a tiny bit. That'll hide the inline menu until you place focus back into a fillable field.
    2. If you're going to continue to use forms on that page and don't want to use 1Password X in them, you can disable the inline components altogether for the remainder of the browser session (until you quit/relaunch the browser), on that site. To do so, choose the Suggestions option on the inline menu, then choose Hide on this page. To get the inline menu components back without relaunching the browser, right click in a field and choose Show 1Password.
    3. If you'd like 1Password X's inline menu components to never show up without you invoking it, there's an option for that! To do so, right click the 1Password X icon in your browser's toolbar, choose Settings, then disable the setting labeled Show autofill menu on field focus. That'll make it so the inline menu won't ever reveal itself unless you click the icon in a fillable field or hit the down arrow key on your keyboard.

Let me know if any of those workarounds seem helpful for now. Cheers. :)

• esquared
    esquared
    Community Member

Thanks for the help. Re:

1. exact url - it's for a private server (and a pop-up dialog), so I can't really do that even if I wanted to. However, it's not limited to NextCloud - other websites I see similar things - one of my credit card companies, IIRC.
    2. Yes, but only if the window has any need to scroll - in my case, all the content fits on one page.
    3. interesting, but ....
    4. Perfect - I've done that and it's actually a better model for my usage...

Not sure there is a one-size-fits-all solution, but the option provided is good enough for me.

• Thanks for clarifying, @esquared. :)

I'm glad that helped. We're always working on improving every aspect of 1Password X, including the inline menu, so please do let us know if you run into the issue on any particular site so we can dig in.

This discussion has been closed.