Switch to subscription from desktop not working

Options
AlanKay9
AlanKay9
Community Member

A month ago I reluctantly changed to your subscription version and version 7 on our MacBooks and iOS devices. The iOS devices work fine. I have been unable to get the MacBook versions working. I went through all the postings I could find. I used the old version 6 password and new version 7 password and neither worked. I removed the versions and reinstalled 7 and still no go. I can login from my browser window to my 1password account but that is cumbersome and I haven't wanted to use it thinking it is probably less secure running in a safari window then using your app and toolbar. Please let me know if it is less secure this way and also how to actually get it to work properly on our MacBooks.
I can't open version 7 since the password won't work so all I know about the version is its 7 and I downloaded and redownloaded last about 3 weeks ago. Also please let me know if I should avoid updating to MacOS Catalina before resolving this 1password issues.
Thanks, Alan

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: 7
OS Version: MacOS Mojave 10.14.6
Sync Type: subscription 1password

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @AlanKay9! Welcome to the forum!

I used the old version 6 password and new version 7 password and neither worked.

Can you please clarify what you mean by "neither worked"? What was the issue exactly?

• AlanKay9
    AlanKay9
    Community Member
    Options

After changing to version 7 and the subscription service neither my wife nor I can open 1 password on our MacBooks running Mojave. IOS devices work fine. I did the whole uninstall reinstall of Both version 7 and when that didn't work version 6 and then version 7 and various iterations of unistalling version 6. very frustrating. Neither original version 6 password nor new version 7 password work. I can login to 1password.com with my new password and access my vault but want to resolve the issue and need an answer if opening in a safari window is in fact equally secure as a workaround for now even if not as convenient. So the problem is I can't open 1password app or toolbar tool as a get wrong password notices. I'm afraid of getting locked out permanently as well.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@AlanKay9:

After changing to version 7 and the subscription service neither my wife nor I can open 1 password on our MacBooks running Mojave.

What happens when you double click on the 1Password app in your Applications folder? Do you get an error message?

• AlanKay9
    AlanKay9
    Community Member
    Options

Again, no. Comes up just doesn't accept password as valid (password is accepted on the 1password.com site in safari).

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@AlanKay9:

Thank you for the confirmation. So you can indeed open the 1Password app, but you cannot unlock it. Thank you for clarifying this.

Uninstalling and reinstalling the app again won't be enough if you forgot the password used to unlock the app. When this happens, you will have to start over, at which point you can add your 1Password account to the app, since you have the credentials for it.

• AlanKay9
    AlanKay9
    Community Member
    Options

I didn't forget my password. This seems to be a version 7 install issue based on other postings. I don't want to delete my vault permanently. I already tried uninstalling version 7 (and version 6) and redownloading version 7 and logging in using the same password as for for using 1password from a safari window. Any other suggestions?
    Also I need an answer as to whether its equally secure to login to 1password in safari from a browser window.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@AlanKay9:

If you cannot unlock your 1Password desktop app, it means that you are entering the wrong password. Normally this happens when you have an old vault inside the app that you forgot the password for. Please follow the instructions in my previous post to reset the app and add the new credentials that you know (the ones that you use to login in a browser).

Without entering the correct Master Password for your desktop app, you will never be able to unlock it, and uninstalling and reinstalling the app won't be enough, as per my previous post.

As far as your other question is concerned, all your 1Password data is protected with end-to-end encryption no matter what method you use to access it. Every client app and the web app follow our security guidelines ;)

This discussion has been closed.