1Password doesn't detect which website the browser is on

Options
This discussion was created from comments split from: AutoFill opens 1Password Mini instead of autofilling.

Comments

• jamesall
    jamesall
    Community Member
    Options

Apologies if this should be a separate thread, but my issue is similar but not exactly the same. When I open 1Password Mini from a browser, it no longer auto finds the login for the website I'm currently on. Manually searching finds it ok, and auto-fill then works.
    This has been going on for a few weeks now (I don't remember exactly when it started) and is present for Chrome and Safari. Recently upgraded to Catalina and the issue is the same.

• Ben
    Options

Hi @jamesall

Could you please let me know which version of the 1Password extension you have installed in your web browser? For Safari this can be found in 1Password > Preferences > Extensions. For Chrome it is under Settings > Extensions (or chrome://extensions/ ) then click details on the 1Password listing.

Ben

• jamesall
    jamesall
    Community Member
    Options

Chrome - 4.7.5.90
    Safari - 7.3.2

regards

James.

• dcullen
    dcullen
    Community Member
    Options

Same issue. Been doing this for quite a few weeks on most sites intermittently - a few sites such as CapOne CC seem to work no matter what. As luck would have it I also frequently have the issue that the OP had this discussion split off from.

Brave/Firefox/Vivaldi/Chrome - 4.7.5.90
    Safari - 7.4.BETA-0 (70400000)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jamesall:

Is this happening with every website, or is there a specific one?

Also, are things working fine if you use the keyboard shortcut to fill your login, instead of clicking on the browser extension?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@dcullen:

Is this happening consistently with certain websites? You mentioned that some websites work all the time, are there any that never work?

• jamesall
    jamesall
    Community Member
    Options

I think it's safe to say that the vast majority never work. I think one or two may work, but I can't remember which - none that I use regularly.
    I will report here if I come across any that work.

• dcullen
    dcullen
    Community Member
    edited November 2019
    Options

https://my.cigna.com/web/public/guest

has never come up with the correct (or any) login when using "cmd-\". I’m forced to manually search for the website login in my vault.
    When I search for the login in the window that pops up with cmd-\ it will find the login, but instead of a green “autofill” box I’m given a green “go” box. This "go" box does not autofill the site, but tries to open a new browser window. Just hitting return with the proper login selected also does not work. If I then close the cmd-\ window and try cmd-\ again, search for the login again, a green “autofill” box will have replaced the green “go”box when I find the correct login. At this point I can hit return or the “autofill” button to fill in the name and password.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jamesall:

When you open 1Password mini, what do you see in the dropdown menu there? Is it set to Suggestions?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@dcullen:

What is the current value of the website field inside the 1Password item? Does it match the URL that you are trying to login to?

• jamesall
    jamesall
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, it matches. For example, I created a login for discussions.agilebits.com a couple of days ago to raise this issue. I created and stored the password using 1Password. Now, when I open 1password mini from my browser while on the login page, it doesn't auto find the login but requires a manual search.
    The website is configured as https://discussions.agilebits.com

This is an example - I haven't checked all websites for accuracy but this functionality was lost a few weeks ago.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jamesall:

When you open 1Password mini, is the dropdown menu set to Suggestions?

• jamesall
    jamesall
    Community Member
    Options

Aha, I think we're getting close. When I select "suggestions", it finds the correct login. However each time I open 1password mini, it reverts to "All Items". Is there any way to get it to stay on "suggestions"?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jamesall:

Yes: under 1Password Preferences > Mini tab you can set it to open automatically to the suggestions menu if you select Suggestions in the Open 1Password to dropdown menu ;)

• jamesall
    jamesall
    Community Member
    Options

Excellent. That's fixed it. Thanks very much for the quick resolution!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Glad Ana was able to help. Have a great weekend! :)

• dcullen
    dcullen
    Community Member
    Options

Also fixed it for me. Thank you.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You are welcome! If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

• maxaudet
    maxaudet
    Community Member
    Options

Hey guys, I just updated to 7.4 and rebooted but I'm still having the exact same issue. Latest versions of OSX, Chrome, 1Password, etc.

I'm usually patient but this bug is a major PITA and makes 1Password unusable for me.

• ltkije
    ltkije
    Community Member
    Options

Love to see "All Items" capability to recognize and queue to identified website like "Suggestions". Also, need an alphabetic selection like iPhone to quickly select within a looooong list of logins. Not sure that "Suggestions" is all that useful. Don't really understand criteria by 'Suggestions" are used for display. I rarely, if ever, find a useful login item in suggestions, generally my credit card info is listed. Would be great to have "Logins" as a start-up preference.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ltkije: "Logins" would be a list of all of your Login items in 1Password, which is not really that useful. "Suggestions" shows you matches for the current URL. If you're not seeing any Logins there, you're either not in the browser or don't have any that match the website you're on. :)

• maxaudet
    maxaudet
    Community Member
    Options

Hey @Ben
    I already have this preference setup this way.
    Thanks

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@maxaudet:

Does the website field inside the 1Password item match the URL you are visiting?

• maxaudet
    maxaudet
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_ana Not exactly. We do have a bunch of website that use the same login (from an internal AD) so in my 1Password entry, I only have the domain name, not the exact website URL including the hostname.

For example, for aaa.internal.domain.com, bbb.internal.domain.com, ccc.internal.domain.com, I use the same 1Password entry in which the URL is only the domain name, internal.domain.com.

I never thought about it before but I think these sites are the ones on which the issue shows itself more frequently.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@maxaudet:

As long as the domain matches, 1Password should be able to fill items on websites, so I don't think that is the problem. I haven't been able to reproduce this issue here, but we will keep an eye out on this and see if we can find anything about this.

• Hanton
    Hanton
    Community Member
    edited November 2019
    Options

Hello,

I'm facing a similar issue: Since 1pwd 7.4.1 the "Suggestions" list refers to the wrong site (often the previously visited site). It's very problematic as the only solution to get it back to normal is to search the login manually or to completely quit/relaunch 1password or go to 1password mini section in settings and switch to "Favorites" then back to "Suggestions".

I'm using Safari 13.0.3 (14608.3.10.10.1) under Mojave 10.14.6 (18G1012) with "1Password 7 Version 7.4.1 (70401002) 1Password Store"

• Hanton
    Hanton
    Community Member
    edited November 2019
    Options

Additional test: the problem is 100% reproductible and occurs on site that share the same domain.

Quit Safari
    Start Safari
    open New Tab to https://discussions.agilebits.com/
    invoke 1P : Suggestions List is OK
    open New Tab to https://dev1.domain.com
    open New Tab to https://prod.domain.com
    invoke 1P : Suggestions List is WRONG (suggestions list is stuck at https://dev1.domain.com)
    Go back to Tab https://discussions.agilebits.com/
    Go back to Tab https://prod.domain.com

• Ben
    Ben
    edited November 2019
    Options

@Hanton

Do any of the Login items for prod.domain.com have dev1.domain.com listed as websites, or vice versa? 1Password should show any matches for *.domain.com in the suggestions list — that's intentional, but the closest match should be listed first.

Ben

• Hanton
    Hanton
    Community Member
    Options

@Ben
    Yes both login items are websites.
    It was working as you described before the update.

This discussion has been closed.