To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

.dmg file

1pwuser31547
1pwuser31547
Community Member

Hi.
Any issues with storing OPVault files in an encrypted dmg container in 1PW cloud?
I realize there’s a 1GB limit.

I have an account but also use standalone vaults for data that I have traditionally not wanted to store on ANY cloud.
I locally folder sync these OPVault files.

However, I was rethinking my system and would consider storing these OPVault files in an encrypted DMG container in a very secure platform like 1PW (zero knowledge encryption, SRP).

Additionally I would turn on travel mode for this personal vault holding the DMG attachment so I would not need to have it synced to every device.
I would store it on the 1PW cloud solely as a backup in case I didn’t have access to my local files/ devices.
The kind of data that I would think of storing would be data that I wouldn’t need to change very often like security questions, email passwords etc).

I like the idea of using this “hybrid” system- encrypted Dmg files enclosing separately encrypted OPVault files stored, backed and synced with very secure 1PW cloud.

Is this a reasonable idea?
Any evidence that storing data (OPVault files) within a Dmg file reduces the risk of data corruption during backup and syncing?
I understand you had a system called “Knox” that allowed DMG containers within vaults?

As I said, I use local vaults and am very comfortable with local folder syncing but would like the idea of cloud backup.

Thanks

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @1pwuser31547!

However, I was rethinking my system and would consider storing these OPVault files in an encrypted DMG container in a very secure platform like 1PW (zero knowledge encryption, SRP).

I would store it on the 1PW cloud solely as a backup in case I didn’t have access to my local files/ devices.

Everything you store on 1Password.com is already end-to-end encrypted, therefore it would be easier to just add this vault to 1Password.com and let 1Password manage it normally, without the extra steps of creating the dmg file and attaching it to an item which then gets synced to 1Password.com. Your data would be protected with the same level of security, but without the additional effort.

This discussion has been closed.