Best way to administer passwords for two families

Options
gct3o
gct3o
Community Member

I have been using 1Password for many years and have just recently convinced my sister to use 1Password for her family (2 early teens children). She is intimidated by the role of administering the family so while I give her some on-the-job training I’d like to administer her account. I am guessing I need to use a unique email address with this second family account and will not be able to connect to this second account from my devices and the apps I currently use for my family. So logging in via a web browser is all I can do effectively.

Am I correct in how I am going about this? Does anyone have any other suggestions how best to do this?
FYI this will be done on my sisters Apple devices running, Mac OS High Sierra and several iOS devices running iOS 13.x. My computers are all running the latest Apple OS’s

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Two different families

Comments

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited November 2019
    Options

@gct3o

I have been using 1Password for many years and have just recently convinced my sister to use 1Password for her family...

A worthy accomplishment.

I am guessing I need to use a unique email address with this second family account

No, you can use the same email on multiple accounts. -Unless something has changed in the last year. I have seen no indication of this.

and will not be able to connect to this second account from my devices and the apps I currently use for my family.`

You can connect to multiple accounts from your devices. Provided the app supports that. I do not stray outside of the Apple eco system so I cannot say for certain on how other apps work. But on Apple devices you can certainly have multiple accounts.

https://support.1password.com/multiple-accounts/

I would advise you to setup her account, and leave you as an admin, organizer etc That way you can help recover her account should she forget her master password. Likewise you may wish to add her or another family member to your account as an admin, organizer so your account could be recovered if needed.

https://support.1password.com/recovery/

Now may not seem like the time to do such things, but a few months ago... I lost my wife of 23 years. We always used the same Master Password so such a feature was not needed. However that's not always the case. I would strongly advise you to setup a recovery solution today, if you have not already done so. Life changes in the blink of an eye. I recently went through the process of providing my eldest son with all the details for accessing our 1Password account.

Also take the time to print out the emergency kit, fill it out and place it in a safe place. Making sure to include the details like the Master Password etc. I would also recommend a 2nd copy in a location off site, such as a bank safe deposit box, or some other safe and secure place of your choosing. * Be sure to record the Master Password. See the recommendation on the link below.

https://support.1password.com/emergency-kit/

Just a few words from a fellow user.

• Some of the above assumes we are talking about the 1Password accounts thru 1Password servers only. Does not apply to older sync methods such as iCloud, WiFi, or Dropbox. Although a modified approach can be made for those sync methods to ensure continued access in unforeseen events.
  • AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@thightower: Thank you! <3

I am guessing I need to use a unique email address with this second family account

No, you can use the same email on multiple accounts. -Unless something has changed in the last year. I have seen no indication of this.

thightower is absolutely correct in the context of this discussion's question about 1Password Families (or Teams/Business) accounts: you can have more than one under the same email address. I just wanted to clarify for anyone else who might be asking a similar question about individual 1Password memberships: only one individual account can exist for a single email address. :+1:

and will not be able to connect to this second account from my devices and the apps I currently use for my family.`

You can connect to multiple accounts from your devices. Provided the app supports that. I do not stray outside of the Apple eco system so I cannot say for certain on how other apps work. But on Apple devices you can certainly have multiple accounts.

Also correct: you can sign into multiple 1Password accounts in any of the apps. I do that myself. I'll just add that you can hide some from the All Vaults view if you don't need/want to access them all the time. I find that really helpful. :)

https://support.1password.com/recovery/
    Now may not seem like the time to do such things, but a few months ago... I lost my wife of 23 years. We always used the same Master Password so such a feature was not needed. However that's not always the case. I would strongly advise you to setup a recovery solution today, if you have not already done so. Life changes in the blink of an eye. I recently went through the process of providing my eldest son with all the details for accessing our 1Password account.
    Also take the time to print out the emergency kit, fill it out and place it in a safe place. Making sure to include the details like the Master Password etc. I would also recommend a 2nd copy in a location off site, such as a bank safe deposit box, or some other safe and secure place of your choosing. * Be sure to record the Master Password. See the recommendation on the link below.
    https://support.1password.com/emergency-kit/

That's really great advice for anyone. Better to be prepared (as best as is possible under the circumstances) if we can. <3

This discussion has been closed.