Shared vault between 1password 6 and 1password 7

Options
cpietrow
cpietrow
Community Member

I have 2 Macs, first one running macOS 10.12 & 1password 6, second running 10.14. I am now being forced to update to 1password 7 on the second machine due to an inadvertent macOS update. Those 2 Macs use a Dropbox shared vault. In addition there are also 2 iPhones which are sync'd. It would seem that 1password 7 does not have the same concept of a shared vault, and if it does whether the data formats of v6 and v7 are the same.
Could you please let me know what combination of products to use to have a common shared password set between 2 users? One using macOS 10.12 + iPhone 13.1 and the other using macOS10.14 + iPhone 12.4

1Password Version: 6.8.4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.12.6
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @cpietrow

I'd be happy to help with that. We do not support sharing 1Password data between multiple people using Dropbox (or any 3rd party solution). The only supported method of sharing one or more 1Password vaults is through the use of either a 1Password Families, 1Password Teams, or 1Password Business membership (or combination thereof). You can learn more about membership here:

About 1Password membership

If you decide to go that route we have a guide that can help with migration here:

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• cpietrow
    cpietrow
    Community Member
    Options

Ben, thanks for reply. In retrospect, then manner in which I used dropbox to share a vault was to have both machines signed in as the same box account user. Not an issue since it's my wife. So the follow up question is whether 1Password Families can support both, v6 and v7 users?

• Ben
    Ben
    edited November 2019
    Options

@cpietrow

In retrospect, then manner in which I used dropbox to share a vault was to have both machines signed in as the same box account user. Not an issue since it's my wife.

While this is certainly a safer configuration compared to using Dropbox's folder sharing feature to share the sync file, there is still some inherent risk that multiple devices will attempt to sync changes simultaneously, which is not ideal.

So the follow up question is whether 1Password Families can support both, v6 and v7 users?

Both iPhones should be able to run v7. At the moment, with regard to 1Password for Mac, yes. Hopefully that will continue to be true until the older Mac can be upgraded. We are fairly aggressive about system requirements though, so I couldn't say for how long that will be true. I'm not aware of any immediate plans to release an update that requires a newer version, but it could happen.

Another possible solution, if an update is released that requires a newer version of macOS, and you haven't been able to update... is 1Password X:

1Password X

1Password X is a browser extension for our membership service that doesn't rely on having the desktop app installed, so as long as your browser version is compatible that may be a workaround. It doesn't have to rely on the desktop app as it can communicate with 1Password.com directly.

Ben, thanks for reply.

My pleasure.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.