1password does not offer autofill when using ipv6

Options
This discussion was created from comments split from: 1password does not offer autofill when using ipv6.

Comments

• Alexander Sanchez Baena
    Options

Well, I sure do have issues with autofill and IPv6. When going to my Synology NAS via its IPv6 address (http://[2001:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx]:5000/) and using 1Password autofill, the browser (Chrome) reloads the page via IPv4 and fills the fields...

• @Alexander Sanchez Baena

Do you have the IPv6 address saved in the 1Password item? and are you filling using the native application or 1Password X?

Alexander Sanchez Baena
    Community Member
    edited November 2019
    Options

Yes, I have saved the IPv6 address. I am using the Chrome extension and not the X app in Chrome. That saves me from logging in twice (once in Chrome and once in the 1Password application). I’m on Win10 btw.

• To make sure I'm fully understanding your concern, @Alexander Sanchez Baena, are selecting this Login item for your NAS from mini or the main 1Password app? Opening the site using the IPv6 address yourself, then using either Ctrl + \ or selecting the matching Login from mini to fill? While the distinction here may seem minor, it matters greatly in this case because the two scenarios are handled by 1Password very differently. It would also be helpful to know all of the URLs you have saved for that Login item. I don't need the URLs themselves, but as an example – do you have both IPv6 and IPv4 saved? If so, which is the first in the list when you view your item's details? These will help me better understand what's expected here so that I can explain that behavior and we can see what might be going wrong here. Thanks! :chuffed:

Alexander Sanchez Baena
    Community Member
    edited November 2019
    Options

Okay, I'll give full disclosure :-) I am using Windows 10 and 1Password 7.3.712. In Chrome (version 78.0.3904.87) I am using the 1Password extension (desktop app required), version 4.7.5.90.

So, yesterday I activated IPv6 on my home network. My NAS also received an IPv6 address, so I thought to give it a go through IPv6 on URL http://[2001:470:x:x:x:x:x:x]:5000/. There I am presented with the login screen. When I press Ctrl-\, the browser reloads the window with the IPv4 address and fills the card. This also happens when I select the passcard in Mini with the mouse.

In the passcard, the IPv4 website is listed first and the IPv6 site second.

When I switch those and save the passcard, the browser still reloads the IPv6 site, but now with the IPv6 address. The passcard is then used to fill the user and pw fields. The IPv4 site still works as expected when the IPv4 address is listed second, and without a reload of the site.

• MikeT
    edited November 2019
    Options

Hi @Alexander Sanchez Baena,

Thanks for the extra details.

That's a known limitation right now, the 1Password mini can't accurately match the IP addresses with ports from the browser's tab. In other words, so when you ask 1Password to fill an item with a saved IP address, it will ask the browser to open the first saved address in your Login item and then tell the 1Password extension to fill this specific item. That's why you're seeing a reload even with matching addresses.

That's also why if you had the first URL saved with an IPv4 address, it will ask the browser to load IPv4 site and then fill it.

To see the problem better, if you change 1Password mini to open in new tabs instead of current tab, you'll notice it'll open the IPv6 page in a separate tab.

We do plan to fix this in a future update, it's just not a quick fix for us.

ref: dev/windows/opw#2072

This discussion has been closed.