Need help cleaning up my vaults and maybe account

Options
rack38
rack38
Community Member

I have been a long time user and it seems the last update or two have kinda messed a few things up, or at least I don't know what it is. On my desktop (mac) if I open 1Password, I see my vaults as well as the one I created to be stored on Dropbox. However, when I use the chrome extension or the iOS app, it is not showing all of my passwords. I also have a master password, but sometimes I have to enter in another password if I am logging into the desktop version or chrome extension. It's almost as if I have two accounts, but at this point, I have no idea. I also see the 1password X. What is that? I have 1password 7. How can I tell and how can I get this cleared up?
Thanks

1Password Version: 1Password 7
Extension Version: 7.3.2 (70302004)
OS Version: 10.14.5
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @rack38!

On my desktop (mac) if I open 1Password, I see my vaults as well as the one I created to be stored on Dropbox. However, when I use the chrome extension or the iOS app, it is not showing all of my passwords.

I suspect that you have the old Primary vault just on some of your devices, but not all of them. If you have a 1Password Membership, you should move all your items there and stop using the Primary vault altogether.

I think that if you look at the devices where some of your data is missing, that's because they don't have the same vaults.

I also see the 1password X. What is that?

1Password X is our latest browser extension for our users with a 1Password Membership. You can read more about its features here.

• rack38
    rack38
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, I have the Primary (which is synced to dropbox) and one personal vault, which is similar. The chrome extension only shows the personal vault info and not the primary info. Moving all of the items will fix this?

What about the password I enter on my mac? If I open the main app, I enter in one password, my original one, but if I log into anything else, even the browser, it won't accept that password but is a different one that was set up after we updated a year or two ago. How do I just make sure I have only account and using one account with one password?

• rack38
    rack38
    Community Member
    Options

Here is a screen shot of the two in question. https://prnt.sc/pubjrt
    When I log in using the browser, it is a different password, same email but different password than when I log in using my mac app. The mac app has the primary vault and that has different passwords in it that I need. I can put everything into one vault, but the log in using two passwords has got me a bit confused.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@rack38:

The chrome extension only shows the personal vault info and not the primary info. Moving all of the items will fix this?

Yes :)

What about the password I enter on my mac? If I open the main app, I enter in one password, my original one, but if I log into anything else, even the browser, it won't accept that password but is a different one that was set up after we updated a year or two ago. How do I just make sure I have only account and using one account with one password?

The way 1Password unlocks is:

• If a Primary vault exists, then it unlocks using the Master Password for that vault, regardless of what, if any, memberships are signed in
    • If a single 1Password membership is signed in, then it unlock using the Master Password for that membership account
    • If multiple memberships are signed in, then it unlock using the Master Password of the first added membership

These are each exclusive scenarios. For example, if multiple memberships are signed in, you cannot unlock 1Password using the Master Password of the second account that was added.

In your case, since you have the Primary vault in this app, you are unlocking 1Password with the Master Password of the Primary vault. You do not have this vault on your other devices, so you will use the 1Password Membership password to unlock those.

If you are using a 1Password membership we generally recommend removing the Primary vault to get all of this sorted out.

• rack38
    rack38
    Community Member
    Options

How do I know what membership I have or what subscription I have?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@rack38:

You can see it in the invoice that was sent to you when you subscribed.

When it comes to your original question about unlocking 1Password, however, it won't matter what type of Membership you have. The app will unlock following the points in my previous post, no matter what type of Membership you have.

• rack38
    rack38
    Community Member
    Options

Well, to be honest, I have had this for many years, in fact, before you jumped on the "yearly fee" bandwagon that everyone else had modeled after. I paid for the app once, and that is where my original password was created. Used it for years. Then, I wanted to share my passwords with my wife's computer and it wouldn't let me and said I had to have some membership, so now, I have to renew every year. Am I missing something here?

• rack38
    rack38
    Community Member
    Options

Can I go back to a non membership and just use my original primary one without paying the yearly membership fee?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@rack38:

Then, I wanted to share my passwords with my wife's computer and it wouldn't let me and said I had to have some membership, so now, I have to renew every year. Am I missing something here?

You will need a 1Password Families account if you want to share items with your wife. So if that's what you wanted to do, you are using the correct things. To make sure you are only prompted for your new password, please make sure everything is inside your 1Password account and then remove the Primary vault from your device, as per the instructions above.

Once you have done that, the app will behave the way you are asking ;)

Can I go back to a non membership and just use my original primary one without paying the yearly membership fee?

Certainly, but you will lose the sharing capabilities that you mentioned, including the other features that come with a 1Password Membership.

• rack38
    rack38
    Community Member
    Options

Okay thanks. Is the data on your servers then if I delete the primary that is on my dropbox then?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@rack38:

Yes, it will be on our servers after the migration. But please make sure that you have moved everything you need before removing your Primary vault. After you have moved your items from the Primary to the Personal/Private vault in your 1Password account, you can make sure that everything has been moved over correctly by logging in to your 1Password account in a browser at https://my.1password.com.

Once you have made sure that everything is there, you can remove the Primary vault from the app.

• rack38
    rack38
    Community Member
    Options

Got it. How do I remove all the duplicates that are in there now?

• Ben
    Options

@rack38

Deleting the Primary vault should delete the duplicates.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.