Can I turn off autofill for specific sites on my Mac?

Options
PJ1
PJ1
Community Member

Hi guys

I have a stand-alone account and am having trouble when logging into my bank.

The bank asks me for a PIN and ID on the first page but does not require my password. When I get past the PIN/ID page, I am asked for certain characters from my password and not the whole thing.

Have been wracking my brain to find a way just to turn off Autofill but can't seem to see one. Does this still exist?

Thanks for your help.

1Password Version: 7.3.2
Extension Version: Firefox 4.7.5.90
OS Version: Mac OS Catalina 10.15.1
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:autofill Mac

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@PJ1 - ugh. I don't know, obviously, but you sound like you're in the UK, where banks are notorious for these kinds of shenanigans. You might want to direct them as a customer of theirs to our Open Letter to Banks, which, sadly, was written a few years ago and continues to be relevant. It may help them to hear it from an actual user.

Unfortunately, this doesn't help you much in the meantime, and there's no way to have 1Password fill only certain characters -- the filling logic for that just doesn't exist. What you can do to help a bit is to use the Large Type feature in 1Password for Mac -- hover over the right side of your password for the bank in question, click the drop-down, and you'll see Large Type as an option. Click that, then click the top of the window and drag it a bit until the familiar window box appears around it (this will make it permanent until you dismiss it by clicking the red Close button at top left). Hope that helps cushion things a bit.

• PJ1
    PJ1
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Lars

Thanks for getting back so quickly!

I see what you're saying regarding UK banks - fun and games to say the least!!!

Instead of trying to get 1P to fill certain characters, is it possible to actually turn off any form of autofill for a website in 1P itself? If this is still available, then it would not be an issue for me to fill-in the first page for myself, and then do a large type to count the characters needed to fill in the rest.

Cheers
    Paul

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2019
    Options

@PJ1 - I don't understand; we don't do any kind of automatic autofill. You have to either use ⌘\ or click the 1Password icon in your browser's toolbar or the Mac's menubar to initiate filling. If you don't want to fill...just don't fill. If it's happening automatically as soon as you load the page, that's not 1Password, I can tell you that for certain. You may have your browser's password manager still active, or perhaps you've in the past installed some other 3rd party password manager?

• PJ1
    PJ1
    Community Member
    edited November 2019
    Options

Some time ago there was an option for each individual login page in 1P that would allow you to turn Autofill on or off. That is no longer there.

If I access a site through 1P via the browser extension it will, of course, automatically fill. As said though, there was an option to turn this off on a site-by-site basis so that it would load the page and you could then do Command\ to fill if required. Not so anymore.

When loading the web page manually, autofill does not occur.

That said, I have no other password managers or browser password settings on in Firefox or Safari.

I hope this makes sense?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@PJ1 - I'd recommend that you launch websites you don't want filled from either a bookmarks folder or by directly typing them in; when you launch websites from the main 1Password application or the extension/mini, the assumption is that you're doing so because you want to access the site by signing in, not that you don't want to sign in. Maybe try creating a bookmark to the sign-in page in your browser itself, instead of using 1Password to launch the site?

I may be forgetting something from a long-retired version of 1Password, but as far as I can remember, there's never been an option to turn off filling on a per-item basis in 1Password. There IS an option in 1Password > Preferences > Browsers to restrict 1Password from offering to save new logins on individual domains you can specify, but that doesn't affect filling, only saving. And you can of course click Edit in any item and then in the Display section, change the item in question to "Never suggest in browser." But that would only mean that even if you visited that website manually, clicking the 1Password icon in your browser would show you no results for that site. It still wouldn't stop 1Password from filling the item if you launched it by double-clicking from within the main 1Password application.

• PJ1
    PJ1
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Lars.

Will indeed set up a new way to just access the sites and use 1P to fill in where necessary.

Thanks for your time with this.

Best
    Paul

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

On behalf of Lars, you are welcome! If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

This discussion has been closed.