Is it safe to put in my master password on public wi-fi?

Options
doray
doray
Community Member

I'm new to 1Password, and I'm just wondering if it's safe to put in my master password when on public wi-fi. I read https://blog.1password.com/how-to-stay-safe-on-public-wi-fi/ and so I know 1Password data is encrypted, but if it's safe then why do they recommend using a VPN?
Thank you in advance!

1Password Version: 7.3.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.15.1
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:1password safe on public wi-fi

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@doray - good for you for thinking proactively about the security of your data in general as well as when on unknown/public wi-fi. If you scroll down in that article from our blog, you'll see the section header 1Password keeps your passwords safe, no matter the connection. In that section, the article says:

Your 1Password data is safe no matter where you connect from because the data we transmit is always end-to-end encrypted.

Which is exactly correct, as the article goes on to elaborate upon.

The rest of the article is essentially tips on how to stay safe more-generally when on public/unknown wi-fi (not specifically with regard to 1Password), and use of a VPN is one of the ways you can do that, though it's certainly neither the only thing one can/should do, nor is it a silver bullet that makes you invulnerable. Hope that helps clarify, but feel free to ask any follow-up questions.

• doray
    doray
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you so much for your prompt reply, Lars! I appreciate the professional responses on this forum, even to newbie questions. I'd like to reply "solved" or "helpful" but don't know how.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@doray - I think you just did. ;) Glad I was able to assist.

This discussion has been closed.