YubiKey 5 NFC on Iphone and Ipad - Does it work or not?

Options
SGVNK
SGVNK
Community Member

Hi,

After I saw commercial videos from 1Password with Yubikey I bought one ( YubiKey 5 NFC ) and than I realized it can not work on my Iphone XS . I tried to find solution and only clue I found is some recommendation to go into Safari..,

Can you please help me and give me straight answer - Can 1Password app work with YubiKey 5 NFC on IOS?

Best regards

1Password Version: latest
Extension Version: latest
OS Version: latest
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @SGVNK! Welcome to the forum!

Currently NFC is not supported. You will need a lightning YubiKey if you want to use it with 1Password for iOS.

• SGVNK
    SGVNK
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you Ana.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You are welcome! If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

• jpinnix
    jpinnix
    Community Member
    Options

Yubico lists the YubiKey 5 NFC as compatible with 1Password: https://www.yubico.com/works-with-yubikey/catalog/1password/

It does specify iOS with Lightning lower down. But both 1Password and Yubico have said before that iOS would support the NFC ability. What does the timeline look like for that?

Bummed that this combo isn’t working.

• Ben
    Options

@jpinnix

Yubico lists the YubiKey 5 NFC as compatible with 1Password: https://www.yubico.com/works-with-yubikey/catalog/1password/

That's true. It is: on Mac and Windows, in a compatible web browser, with the 1Password.com web app.

It does specify iOS with Lightning lower down.

Exactly. :) Lightning is the only supported connection method for Yubikey in iOS (e.g. NFC and USB-C are not supported).

But both 1Password and Yubico have said before that iOS would support the NFC ability. What does the timeline look like for that?

I was unaware we had said that. I'd be interested to see where we had said that.

Bummed that this combo isn’t working.

I understand; sorry. Our support for Yubikey (U2F) is fairly new. The only 1Password apps that support it at this point are 1Password for iOS and the 1Password.com web app. That will very likely be expanded as we continue to move forward and the technology surrounding it continues to mature, but right now support is admittedly relatively limited.

Ben

• SGVNK
    SGVNK
    Community Member
    Options

I really like 1Password, so please understand this like my advice on marketing, not 1Password itself.

I am using PCs for more than 25 years now so if I am misled, others will be also probably. Like I said I like 1Password and after I saw nice clips and articles regarding 1Password and Yubikey I thought they will work together in only useful way for customer - On all platforms and with all key possibilities. Idea is to make it more simple with YubiKey.

• Ben
    Options

On all platforms and with all key possibilities.

That will likely never be possible, as the keys themselves are limited in which platforms they can work with. But I will certainly pass the feedback about the marketing aspect along; thanks.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.