Vault confusion

Options
carrickp
carrickp
Community Member

Embarrassed to ask, since I think I'm a knowledgeable user. BUT. I am a 1Password subscriber using Mac. Two vaults show up in my profile. One is called "Personal" and this seems to be the subscription account. Another is called "Primary." This seems to be syncing with iCloud. What is the difference between these vaults? Since I am a member, can I cancel the "Primary" vault? Is there an off-line copy of the subscription vault on my devices? If so, where is it? Can I set it to sync with iCloud? Thanks. (By the way, I wasn't allowed to sign on to the forum with my current e-mail ID. It insisted on an old one I haven't used for years.)

1Password Version: 7.3.2
Extension Version: 7.3.2
OS Version: MacOS 10.15.1
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:vault confustion

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

HI @carrickp! Welcome to the forum!

Since I am a member, can I cancel the "Primary" vault?

Yes, we recommend every member to remove the old Primary vault from the app, if you have moved all your data inside your account already, so you can avoid confusion.

Is there an off-line copy of the subscription vault on my devices?

Yes, there is a cached copy of your data inside the 1Password folder.

If so, where is it? Can I set it to sync with iCloud?

No, you cannot sync it separately. One of the benefits of a 1Password Membership is that is sync is automatic through your 1Password account. With this, you also get your offline cache copy, but it's best not to tamper with it and to let 1Password handle it ;)

• carrickp
    carrickp
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. That clears it up. Now another problem: When I try to delete my Primary vault it will not accept my master password. Is there somehow a different password for the older vault? I have tried all the various password I use to no avail.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@carrickp:

Yes, the Primary vault can have a different Master Password. The one it uses would be the one that you configured the first time you started using 1Password, the one that you have been using until you created a 1Password Membership and chose a different one.

• carrickp
    carrickp
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. Managed tomget rid of it using the iPad app.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you for the update :)

This discussion has been closed.