1Password 7 Extension not working in Firefox 71.0b8

Options
danhcole
danhcole
Community Member

The 1Password extension for Firefox isn't working. The extention appears in the about:addons page, but continuously crashes and attempts to start.

In about:debugging#/runtime/this-firefox, the extension gives the following warning:
Reading manifest: Warning processing key: An unexpected property was found in the WebExtension manifest.

The full manifest (with keys redacted):
{"manifest_version":2,"name":"1Password extension (desktop app required)","version":"4.7.5.90","description":"Extends the 1Password app on your Mac or Windows PC, so you can fill and save passwords in your browser.","icons":{"16":"assets/Icon-16.png","48":"assets/Icon-48.png","128":"assets/Icon-128.png"},"browser_action":{"default_icon":{"19":"assets/toolbar.svg","38":"assets/toolbar.svg"},"default_title":"1Password"},"author":"AgileBits","background":{"scripts":["ext/sjcl.js","global.min.js"]},"content_scripts":[{"all_frames":true,"css":["fillStyle.css"],"js":["injected.min.js"],"run_at":"document_start","matches":["http://*/*","https://*/*"],"exclude_globs":["*://ad.*/*","*://ad0.*/*","*://ad1.*/*","*://ad2.*/*","*://ad3.*/*","*://ad4.*/*","*://ad5.*/*","*://ad6.*/*","*://ad7.*/*","*://ad8.*/*","*://ad9.*/*","*://ads?.*/*","*://adserver*.*/*","*://*/*adframe*","*://tag.admeld*.*/*","*://*.atdmt.com/*","*://*.doubleclick.*/*","*://*.ak.fbcdn.net/*","*://plusone.google.com/*","*://platform.twitter.com/widgets/*","*://*.facebook.com/widgets/*","*://*.facebook.com/plugins/*","*://*.facebook.com/extern/*","*://www.youtube.com/embed/*","*://stats.complex.com/*","*://*.addthis.com/static/*","*://vitamine.networldmedia.net/*","*://api.tweetmeme.com/*","*://*.atwola.com/*","*://engine.adzerk.net/*","*://*.stumbleupon.com/badge/*","*://*.bizographics.com/collect/*","*://*.musthird.com/*"]}],"homepage_url":"https://agilebits.com/onepassword","incognito":"spanning","key":"xxxxx","permissions":["contextMenus","nativeMessaging","storage","tabs","webRequest","webRequestBlocking","http://*/*","https://*/*"],"short_name":"1Password","applications":{"gecko":{"id":"onepassword4@agilebits.com","strict_min_version":"52.0","update_url":"https://cdn.agilebits.com/dist/1P/ext/autoupdate_firefox4.json"}}}

Doing a full inspection of the "running" extension shows the following exception:
Finished loading auth configuration. Processing callbacks. global.min.js:88:471
[CHROME:NM] Port <[object Object]> disconnected: No disconnect message global.min.js:249:130
[AGENT] Connection [object NativeMessagingConnection] disconnected. global.min.js:105:465
1Password detected a high number of disconnections from the browser extension to the main application between Sun Nov 10 2019 11:38:04 GMT-0500 (Eastern Standard Time) and Sun Nov 10 2019 11:40:05 GMT-0500 (Eastern Standard Time) global.min.js:249:479
[Exception... "Component not initialized" nsresult: "0xc1f30001 (NS_ERROR_NOT_INITIALIZED)" location: "JS frame :: resource://gre/modules/ExtensionChild.jsm :: api/register/publicAPI.onDisconnect< :: line 266" data: no]
api/register/publicAPI.onDisconnect<@resource://gre/modules/ExtensionChild.jsm:266:42
listener@resource://gre/modules/ExtensionChild.jsm:323:17
disconnectByOtherEnd@resource://gre/modules/ExtensionChild.jsm:404:15
receiveMessage@resource://gre/modules/ExtensionChild.jsm:232:44
_handleMessage/</<@resource://gre/modules/MessageChannel.jsm:962:27
_handleMessage/<@resource://gre/modules/MessageChannel.jsm:961:9
_handleMessage@resource://gre/modules/MessageChannel.jsm:959:16
receiveMessage/<@resource://gre/modules/MessageChannel.jsm:225:14
receiveMessage@resource://gre/modules/MessageChannel.jsm:218:10

These messages repeat continually with the crash/load cycle.

I've tried restarting firefox, restarting 1password, and restarting the machine.

1Password Version: 7.3.2
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: OSX 10.15
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:firefox

Comments

• grahame
    grahame
    Community Member
    Options

I've hit this as well.

1Password detected a high number of disconnections from the browser extension to the main application between Mon Nov 11 2019 13:58:40 GMT+0800 (Australian Western Standard Time) and Mon Nov 11 2019 14:00:40 GMT+0800 (Australian Western Standard Time) global.min.js:249:479

[Exception... "Component not initialized"  nsresult: "0xc1f30001 (NS_ERROR_NOT_INITIALIZED)"  location: "JS frame :: resource://gre/modules/ExtensionChild.jsm :: api/register/publicAPI.onDisconnect< :: line 266"  data: no]
    api/register/publicAPI.onDisconnect<@resource://gre/modules/ExtensionChild.jsm:266:42
    MessageChannel.jsm:964

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@danhcole:

If you are running Firefox beta, can you please try using the beta version of the 1Password browser extension as well? I noticed that you are currently running 4.7.5.90, which is our stable version, so I wonder if the beta will help with this since Firefox 71 is not officially available yet.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@grahame:

Is this happening on Firefox 71.0b8 for you too?

• grahame
    grahame
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_ana yes, I'm on 1password stable and Firefox 71.0b8 (64-bit, MacOS). I'll try the beta extension now.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Sounds good :+1:

• danhcole
    danhcole
    Community Member
    Options

Do you have a link to the beta extension? https://1password.com/browsers/beta/firefox/ points to 4.7.5.90 as well

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@danhcole - apologies for the confusion. 4.7.5.90 is the current extension for both the stable and beta channel (meaning: there is no newer beta of the 1Password extension at present). I'm wondering whether you or anyone else in this thread has tried this running the stable channel of Firefox? Both seem to be working here.

• garyckoch
    garyckoch
    Community Member
    Options

I am seeing the same errors with the released Firefox 70.0.1 (on Catalina) and 4.7.5.90. The extension's icon in the toolbar is constantly flipping between enabled and disabled.

• grahame
    grahame
    Community Member
    Options

Updating to 1password 7.4.1 and extension version 4.7.5.90 seems to have fixed this for me. I also shifted from the App Store version of 1password to the agilebits.com version, in case that makes a difference. I am still on Firefox Developer Edition 71.0b8.

Looking in about:debugging#/runtime/this-firefox I see this warning:

Reading manifest: Warning processing key: An unexpected property was found in the WebExtension manifest.

... but everything still seems to work now, the icon on the toolbar is not blinking and I can fill passwords.

• disambiguated
    disambiguated
    Community Member
    edited November 2019
    Options

I'm on macOS Firefox 70.0.1 (64-bit) stable, and the November 12th App Store 1Password update to 1Password 7 Version 7.4.1 (70401001) Mac App Store/extension version 4.7.5.90 has caused this same problem for me.

Lots of this from the Firefox debugging log:

[CHROME:NM] Port <[object Object]> disconnected: No disconnect message global.min.js:249:130
    [AGENT] Connection [object NativeMessagingConnection] disconnected. global.min.js:105:465
    1Password detected a high number of disconnections from the browser extension to the main application between Tue Nov 12 2019 08:25:30 and Tue Nov 12 2019 08:27:30 global.min.js:249:479
    [Exception... "Component not initialized" nsresult: "0xc1f30001 (NS_ERROR_NOT_INITIALIZED)" location: "JS frame :: resource://gre/modules/ExtensionChild.jsm :: api/register/publicAPI.onDisconnect< :: line 266" data: no]
    MessageChannel.jsm:964

Very disappointed by lack of QA on the part of AgileBits. This is about the umpteenth time I've experienced this sort of problem triggered by poor QA on the part of AgileBits with regards to new versions of extensions; after years of being a loyal 1Password customer, I'm just about ready to cancel my subscription and move to a competing product.

• disambiguated
    disambiguated
    Community Member
    Options

And so, rebooting my Mac seems to've fixed this problem, for now.

I should not have to reboot my Mac due to an update of your product.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @disambiguated! Thanks for letting us know, and glad to hear a simple restart solved the issue for you. :)

This discussion has been closed.