To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Upgrading to membership from stand alone license

Options

I've been a long term customer. I am apparently needing to upgrade to memberships and finding the lack of information and support more than a little challenging and frustrating. I do not understand how to do this without losing all of my current sign in and security information in my existing account, how to get the secret key or password although it seems that perhaps I don't have one since I had a stand alone license. I have tried on my own and keep running into information that says I don't have an existing account even though I've been using 1Password for years and am even now currently signing in with my master password to see all of my logins although they all now say they are Read Only.

I travel a lot for work and do not have a lot of time to figure all of this out. (Would be great to have had more information about this transition just food for thought as your company moves forward. I'm actually quite adept and work with technology all the time personally and professionally so it says something for this to be this challenging). If there is a user guide or some kind of something somewhere that can step me through this process that would be great. It's extremely unsettling to be in such a vulnerable position with a company in which I have trusted my security information to, to say the least.

1Password Version: 6.8.8 (and 7.3.2 although read only)
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: 10.14.6
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:Upgrading to membership

Comments

• Yulka1355
    Yulka1355
    Community Member
    edited November 2019
    Options

Hey @Christineandrew,
    I'm not sure why it's unclear to you, try this link and see if it helps: https://support.1password.com/upgrade-mac/

have tried on my own and keep running into information that says I don't have an existing account even though I've been using 1Password for years

A 1Password license is different from a 1Password membership account, and while you have been using it, what you have is not an account it's a license for 1Password 6. A 1Password membership account is a cloud service (among other things).
    You can learn more about it here: https://support.1password.com/explore/membership/

• Christineandrew
    Christineandrew
    Community Member
    Options

Okay thanks Yulka. I got the 1Password 6 license from the Mac store. And it sounds like 1Password 7 isn't working because I need a membership rather than a license. What is unclear is what happens next. When I go to 1Password to sign in, there is a Secret Key required but it doesn't sound like I will have one because I've been using a license and not a subscription. I do not want to overwrite all of my existing logins that I have stored in my 1Password over the years so I am uncertain whether I need to get a new account and if I do, whether it will overwrite all of the logins I have already in my older version of 1Password. Do I sign up on 1Password for a new account and how do I retain all of the logins I already have in my pre-1Password 7 account? Thanks so much for your help

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Christineandrew:

When I go to 1Password to sign in, there is a Secret Key required but it doesn't sound like I will have one because I've been using a license and not a subscription.

Indeed, you will have to sign up for a 1Password Membership in order to get a Secret Key.

I do not want to overwrite all of my existing logins that I have stored in my 1Password over the years so I am uncertain whether I need to get a new account and if I do, whether it will overwrite all of the logins I have already in my older version of 1Password.

If you create an account, that is separate from the license, so nothing will be overwritten. Indeed, your account will remain empty until you move your existing data to it.

Do I sign up on 1Password for a new account and how do I retain all of the logins I already have in my pre-1Password 7 account? Thanks so much for your help

You, you need to sign up for an account, and then follow the migration instructions to move your existing data to your new account.

• Christineandrew
    Christineandrew
    Community Member
    Options

Okay sounds good thank you

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Glad Ana was able to help. We're here if you need anything else. :) :+1:

This discussion has been closed.